Intel Announces Skulltrail - Pricing Revealed

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Earlier this month, we published a preview of Intel's latest high-end enthusiast platform, Skulltrail, and it only took a few weeks before Intel made it officially official. For those unaware, Skulltrail is a platform that gives new meaning to what we know as high-end. Picture one huge motherboard, two extremely fast Quad-Core processors (for 8-cores) and even bragging rights to last for months. That's Skulltrail.

At today's GDC in San Francisco, Intel officially announced the platform and revealed pricing at the same time. As was expected, the Core 2 Extreme QX9775 3.2GHz processors are sold at a price of $1,499 to sellers, meaning the end price to you will be closer to $1,650 - $1,700. That's one processor... Skulltrail takes two.

The motherboard was bound to be an expensive component as well, but it's actually priced higher than I originally believed, at $649. Again, this will be slightly higher once it hits retail, so expect to pay around $700. Paired together, the base Skulltrail components will cost around $4,100. If you are contemplating such a purchase, be sure to read our preview from a few weeks ago and find out if it's right for you.

Stay tuned as we will soon be unveiling a follow-up Skulltrail article that will benefit all you budget-focused folk that don't want to be left out.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
dual_quadcores_021908.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
GAME DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE, San Francisco, Feb. 19, 2008
– For those who crave more performance than what four processing cores and a single graphics card can deliver today, Intel Corporation has introduced the Intel Dual Socket Extreme Desktop Platform. Formerly codenamed "Skulltrail," this is one of the first enthusiast desktop platforms to support two Intel quad core processors for a total of eight processing engines and a choice of multi-card graphics solutions from either ATI* or NVIDIA*.

Source: Intel Press Release

CoolZone

Obliviot
I wonder who will buy this...Maybe only the hardware testers will have the joy of this platforms' performance

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I know of at least two people who were already planning to purchase it long before release, so there are a few out there. Those who want the fastest machine on the planet can't go wrong if they have the cash.

CoolZone

Obliviot
perfectly true,but if you invest in this kind of performance,it is recommended that you get money off it.For gaming I do not know if it does worth it

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
perfectly true,but if you invest in this kind of performance,it is recommended that you get money off it.For gaming I do not know if it does worth it

I would say it is the fastest home computer, and some stock traders trade every 15 minutes, so they would most likely want a fast computer.
Others just want to ...out do... the Jones'es....like....
" Hey Dave, come on over, I want to show you something....but don't tell my wife "

Merlin

CoolZone

Obliviot
I would say it is the fastest home computer, and some stock traders trade every 15 minutes, so they would most likely want a fast computer.
Others just want to ...out do... the Jones'es....like....
" Hey Dave, come on over, I want to show you something....but don't tell my wife "

Merlin

cool joke Merlin...I guess their wifes will put them to sleep with the dogs outside if they find out of the expenses :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha. A skull has two sockets and so does this motherboard, so it all makes sense in some form or another.