EVGA 780 Mobo

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Just ordered the EVGA 780 MoBo to go with the Intel E8400.
I was going to wait, but it seems prices are really going to go up.

Now I'm again going to have hot dog soup and toaster droppings till next payday....LOL

With empending recession in the USA ( Also around the world ) it would seem prices to drop. Maybe they will a week after I buy everything.

Here's the new build so far. ( what it will be )

EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel E8400 3 GHz 6 mb cache

Zalman 9700 LED cooler

8800GT GPU 512 mb ( G92 ) video card

OCZ ReaperX HPC 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel

OS....I'm leaning to the 64 bit WinXP....but maybe Vista Ultimate 64bit

And a Large cardboard box to live in........ ( anyone loan me a shopping cart? )

J/K....LOL

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's a kick-ass setup - you are going to love it. I don't really think I'd change much of anything. You have the ability to go SLI which is nice. Hopefully the 780i proves to be a great overclocker.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
That's a kick-ass setup - you are going to love it. I don't really think I'd change much of anything. You have the ability to go SLI which is nice. Hopefully the 780i proves to be a great overclocker.

I'm going to push that FSB, like you had mentioned to see what it will do

I've heard 500 from a few forums

Merlin

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Lo and BEHOLD...... two packages, one from Tigerdirect and the other from Newegg, arrived at the same time.....go figure....eh?

Way to go UPS.....my buddies

Merlin
PS....anyone need all these styrofoam peanuts

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Ram Change

I ordered the .....

OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1150
Instead of the other, I can get the 1200 push from this one without even trying, mayby a bit more.....eh?

I'm not going 64 bit, as yet...or rather not on this build.
I checked program compatibility with what I use, most program are not ready or do not neccesitate the use of 64 bit.
So it's another OEM of Vista Ultimate x86

I'll let the DDR3 systems come into bloom before I build another system.
Usually a build once a year.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sounds like a good plan. I use 4GB of RAM in my main system, but I do run applications that will fully use it, so in my situation, I see a difference. But with normal use and gaming, 2GB is still usually enough. Gaming at super-high resolutions might benefit from more RAM though too... I should really test that out since I do use a 30" display.