Antec Sonata III Mid-Tower Case

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The Sonata was Antec's flagship case for it's time and set the standard for the competition. It offered quiet performance with an affordable price tag for the budget market, which made it a favorite among system builders. Two generations later, Antec is using the Sonata III to improve on it's legacy and offer builders the same quality and bang for their buck.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
I should mention that the fan of the EarthWatts power supply in this case is thermally controlled, so it is actually controlled by the temperature of the air flowing through the power supply, not by the amount of power being supplied (though power output and heat generated can often have a proportional relationship). Thankfully, the 80mm fan won't make up a large part of the air exhausted from the case, so it won't be ingesting too much hot air, but some silent PC enthusiasts have found that building a cardboard duct to the front of the case can help the fan run even more quietly by causing it to ingest only cold exterior air.

Last edited:
I should mention that the fan of the EarthWatts power supply in this case is thermally controlled, so it is actually controlled by the temperature of the air flowing through the power supply, not by the amount of power being supplied (though power output and heat generated can often have a proportional relationship). Thankfully, the 80mm fan won't make up a large part of the air exhausted from the case, so it won't be ingesting too much hot air, but some silent PC enthusiasts have found that building a cardboard duct to the front of the case can help the fan run even more quietly by causing it to ingest only cold exterior air.
Interesting mod to say the least. I may have to try that one out.

U

Unregistered

How is the power supply doing?
if you don't use the full 500w will it use more then needed?

U

Unregistered

antec earthwatt 500 w psu

I am a newbie

Should my psu fan spinn at all times , if the answer is yes then i have a problem because it spins at startup but then stops

Anyone reading this got some input

Cheers

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I am a newbie

Should my psu fan spinn at all times , if the answer is yes then i have a problem because it spins at startup but then stops

Anyone reading this got some input

Cheers
I would say YES, it should spin all the time, unless you have some exotic PSU that states somwhere that it has thermal control over the fan
But I havent seen any as yet.

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage: