Got my EVGA 680i A1 *Pics*

MakubeX

Partition Master
Alright, got everything installed and running. Took me a little while cuz I had to re-do my water cooling loop and then I formatted my OS HDD so had to re-install Windows and all the software.

Board has been performing great so far. The only trouble I had was at first was with the chipset drivers when I installed a fresh copy of Win XP SP1, installing the drivers made my mouse and keyboard (connected by USB) non-functional. So I installed SP2 and then the Chipset drivers, and now my mouse and keyboard would work but the drivers wouldn't work at all (no internet, no nothing).

Anyway, I haven't done a lot overclocking yet, but so far I've found the best 24/7 OC to be a 3.3GHz with 1.4312v in BIOS. Actual vcore (after vdroop) is 1.39v during Idle and 1.38v under load. The difference in voltage to keep the OC stable between 3.3 and 3.4GHz is so significant that it's just not worth it, so I'll be keeping my E6600 at 3.3GHz. However, I will be Ocing higher just to find the max OC I can get.

Here are some pics of my setup:

1e67d77c.jpg

51bee8ca.jpg

5f83c3e0.jpg

326b423b.jpg

Here are some screen shots of my load and idle temps. These were taken with a room temp of 27C.

I know idle temps aren't that great, but the load temps and delta are pretty sweet.

CPU Idle:
e75a1694.jpg

CPU Load:
11098e1b.jpg

GPU Idle:
504910d2.jpg

GPU Load:
4e06ef27.jpg

Special thanks to Rob for helping me choose my mobo. :)

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's quite the setup man! Glad the new board is working out for you so far. I'm curious to see your max FSB. Hopefully it will be higher than mine (450FSB). Most people are reaching 500FSB and beyond, so here's hoping you will find the same.

How loud is your machine, out of curiosity?

MakubeX

Partition Master
Depends on what speed I set the fans to. At full speed is pretty loud, but at their lowest speed it's pretty decent, just a humm. I usually keep them at the middle, between lowest and highest speed.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Depends on what speed I set the fans to. At full speed is pretty loud, but at their lowest speed it's pretty decent, just a humm. I usually keep them at the middle, between lowest and highest speed.

Good stuff man. Glad to see such a well thought-out build. I am incredibly lazy when it comes to my computer, so I am not sure I'd ever take the time to put something like that together, heh. I am a wimp and stick to all-in-one water cooling kits.

MakubeX

Partition Master
Good stuff man. Glad to see such a well thought-out build. I am incredibly lazy when it comes to my computer, so I am not sure I'd ever take the time to put something like that together, heh. I am a wimp and stick to all-in-one water cooling kits.

Hehe, I just love customizing my rig. If I had my own workshop and more money I would go nuts! :D

slugbug

Coastermaker
Nice setup you have there MakubeX :) I've always been leery of watercooling.
I know that todays gear is much safer than it used to be, but it still scares me.
That whole water and electricity doesn't mix thing.:rolleyes:
My first car didn't have a radiator, so why would my PC need one ;)

MacMan

Partition Master
kool!

Alright, got everything installed and running. Took me a little while cuz I had to re-do my water cooling loop and then I formatted my OS HDD so had to re-install Windows and all the software.

Board has been performing great so far. The only trouble I had was at first was with the chipset drivers when I installed a fresh copy of Win XP SP1, installing the drivers made my mouse and keyboard (connected by USB) non-functional. So I installed SP2 and then the Chipset drivers, and now my mouse and keyboard would work but the drivers wouldn't work at all (no internet, no nothing).

Anyway, I haven't done a lot overclocking yet, but so far I've found the best 24/7 OC to be a 3.3GHz with 1.4312v in BIOS. Actual vcore (after vdroop) is 1.39v during Idle and 1.38v under load. The difference in voltage to keep the OC stable between 3.3 and 3.4GHz is so significant that it's just not worth it, so I'll be keeping my E6600 at 3.3GHz. However, I will be Ocing higher just to find the max OC I can get.

Really kool and impressive looking setup. Looks like it cost a fortune? Maybe someday I will get around to assembling my own computer, but something tells me, if I do, it ain't going look or perform as kool and wicked as your beast!

Final words: BRAVO!

Last edited:

NicePants42

Partition Master
2 independent loops ftw. I like how you routed everything with so little tubing - very nice. May I ask if the reservoir is serving a purpose (like checking water temp)? A T-fitting between the CPU block return and the pump inlet would give you a second fillport near the top of the case, eliminate some tubing and free up a bay - not that it really matters, but if you didn't have those reservoir tubes there you might be able to get the top rad inside the case.

Or here's another idea - if you adjust the MCP655 such that the intake points to the reservoir and the outlet points to the rad, you could eliminate 2 90-degree bends if the pump was on the same level as the res. Due to the tubes on the top rad, this would probably be easiest accomplished by moving the res down ~1-2 bays, and you could let the tubing hold the pump in place (who needs sound dampening?) as long as you use those nice hose clamps.

Also, in case you aren't already using 38mm thick fans, you might want to consider them for those thick heater cores (if you ever start taxing them.)

As for noise, Anandtech recently had some interesting results with an Ixtrema fan. These fans are freakin' expensive, but AT checked the performance, and I've read lots of reviews stating that these things really are extremely quiet. They come in all shapes and sizes, and you can get them with LEDs, too. Although @ $20 a fan, I'm happy with my $4 Yate Loons.

If you ever get tired of having those rads mounted externally, you should grab a TJ07. You'll probably have to use a slim rad in the top, but the base can hold anything up to a GTX480.

MakubeX

Partition Master
Really kool and impressive looking setup. Looks like it cost a fortune? Maybe someday I will get around to assembling my own computer, but something tells me, if I do, it ain't going look or perform as kool and wicked as your beast!

Final words: BRAVO!
Thanks Macman. I bought it all over time, not all at once, so I didn't feel the big impact of cost. I'm sure that if you put some time, effort and money into it you could build one as good or better than mine. :)

2 independent loops ftw. I like how you routed everything with so little tubing - very nice. May I ask if the reservoir is serving a purpose (like checking water temp)? A T-fitting between the CPU block return and the pump inlet would give you a second fillport near the top of the case, eliminate some tubing and free up a bay - not that it really matters, but if you didn't have those reservoir tubes there you might be able to get the top rad inside the case.

Or here's another idea - if you adjust the MCP655 such that the intake points to the reservoir and the outlet points to the rad, you could eliminate 2 90-degree bends if the pump was on the same level as the res. Due to the tubes on the top rad, this would probably be easiest accomplished by moving the res down ~1-2 bays, and you could let the tubing hold the pump in place (who needs sound dampening?) as long as you use those nice hose clamps.

Also, in case you aren't already using 38mm thick fans, you might want to consider them for those thick heater cores (if you ever start taxing them.)

As for noise, Anandtech recently had some interesting results with an Ixtrema fan. These fans are freakin' expensive, but AT checked the performance, and I've read lots of reviews stating that these things really are extremely quiet. They come in all shapes and sizes, and you can get them with LEDs, too. Although @ $20 a fan, I'm happy with my $4 Yate Loons.

If you ever get tired of having those rads mounted externally, you should grab a TJ07. You'll probably have to use a slim rad in the top, but the base can hold anything up to a GTX480.

I like reservoirs because they make it so much easier (faster) to fill and bleed. If I had more space I would put a res in the bottom loop too. There wouldn't be any real benefit of switching the res for a t-line.

I don't like the idea of leaving my pump dangling in there, being held just by the tubing. There's only one almost 90 degree bend (the one right at the outlet of the pump) so I really don't mind having it at all. Besides, since I just have the CPU in that loop I have little restriction in there. Oh, and I do need noise dampening. I hate vibrating noises. I'm fine with wind woosh, but when it comes to vibrating noises or high pitch noises I can't stand it.

Yes, I've got 38mm fans everywhere. All of them Sanyo Denki San Ace fans except one that's a Panaflo medium speed.

I like having the Heatercores externally so they get cooler. I could mount a rad internally in this case if I wanted too (actually before the top heatercore I did have a regular rad installed internally). I don't think I'll be changing case anytime soon, I love this case. I have yet to see a tower case that I like more than the Lian Li PC-7077. It's the best case in the market IMO.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway. :)

Last edited:

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I was actually thinking about this earlier today... 2 independent loops and some of the design decisions I would want to make.... all of this while sitting on the fllor of my garage and packing up my tools! Amazing what one bottle of PC ICE will make you think of!

Nice rig! Bitchen temps and good parts!
:)

Babrbarossa

Obliviot
I just finished an evga 680i WC build and I thought I was pretty clever for sticking these heatsinks on the r50s around the CPU, but I see you did it too- and with much sexier ones! It really helps, whah? I also did a top mount, but with the fans inside blowing out. If you haven't already, you should try the new p27 BIOS- my e6400 is stable at 3.84GHz as opposed to 3.6 with p26.

Attachments

• chipset3.jpg
    chipset3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 691
  • side-small.jpg
    side-small.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:

MakubeX

Partition Master
I just finished an evga 680i WC build and I thought I was pretty clever for sticking these heatsinks on the r50s around the CPU, but I see you did it too- and with much sexier ones! It really helps, whah? I also did a top mount, but with the fans inside blowing out. If you haven't already, you should try the new p27 BIOS- my e6400 is stable at 6.84GHz as opposed to 6.6 with p26.
Yeah, I'm also using the latest BIOS, thanks for the hint anyway.

Nice looking setup, but why do you have a t-line and a reservoir in the same loop?

By the way, that's one hell of a World Record breaking overclock you got there! Especially on just water cooling! :p

PS. Careful with that pump. I see the motor is almost facing up, and that's the only position forbidden for the Laing D5.

Last edited:

werty316

Partition Master
I just finished an evga 680i WC build and I thought I was pretty clever for sticking these heatsinks on the r50s around the CPU, but I see you did it too- and with much sexier ones! It really helps, whah? I also did a top mount, but with the fans inside blowing out. If you haven't already, you should try the new p27 BIOS- my e6400 is stable at 6.84GHz as opposed to 6.6 with p26.
Is that the Fluid XP+ Vortex XP waterblock? It looks like it.

Also does putting heatsinks of those R50 around the CPU really help? I was thinking about putting some ram sinks on them like you guys.

MakubeX

Partition Master
Is that the Fluid XP+ Vortex XP waterblock? It looks like it.

Also does putting heatsinks of those R50 around the CPU really help? I was thinking about putting some ram sinks on them like you guys.

The truth is I have no idea if they really help or not. I stuck'em in there since day one, cuz I have like 40 of those ramisnks lying around. :p

werty316

Partition Master
I don't see how Babrbarossa can get 6.84GHz on his E6400. Not to sound like a nonbeliever but I would like to see a CPUz certified screenshot as you can say anything in words. I was thinking that he meant 3.42GHz on each core and that he just added both clock speeds together.