Vista's Security..the honeymoon's OVER!

MacMan

Partition Master
General Software is software, isn't it?

Apple gained so much revenue due to one thing and one thing only, the iMania. Their OS has nothing to do with it. Windows XP has an 83.57% market share compared to Apples 3.94% and the Mac Intel at 2.14%. That's a whopping 6% of the total OS market. Hell, Windows 2000 holds 4.71% and it's going the way of the dodo.

Go preach your OS bible to people that want to hear it, we really could care less about the Mac fanboyism. You like OSX, good for you, I'm happy for you. But as I said before I'm not a PC user, I'm a hobbyist. I don't want a PC that someone else has decided what is going into it for me. Also I don't want an OS that will not natively support 100% of the games I play. You can sing about porting all you like but they're not going to port old games that aren't selling and besides that, as has been proven time and time again with games ported into Windows from consoles... ports often times leave one hell of a lot to be desired.

The reason I made my posts in the 'General Software' catagory is because I was under the impression OS's were software related? Aren't they?

I'm not bashing you or any one because they are hobbyists, I was simply stating my opinion on Vista security. I love Mercedes... does that make me a Mercedes fanboy?

My young nephew, the editior-in-cheif, of Techgage really loves Linux. I wouldn't call him a fan boy just because he prefers it. You are a lover of building and thinkering with computers. Should I call you a fan boy? No, personally I think you sound like a very intelligent person, but really, calling me a Mac fan boy is rather immature.

If I was a Mac fan boy I wouldn't love Windows, Linux or any other kind of computer related stuff. Would I? Personally, I love any thing to do with computers and to attack me because I prefer OSX and simply stating that I do, is just as silly as attacking me because I prefer to drive a Mercedes (In my dreams, of course!)

As for other people, my opinions are as good as any other. And like wise, I will continue to air them, just as you will yours, regardless of whether other people agree with me or not.

madmat

Soup Nazi
To me, coming into a PC enthusiast forum and trolling (which is exactly what you are doing) is the mark of a fanboy. I'm not an OS fan of any sort. I'm an enthusiast pure and simple. I'd never even dream of going into an Apple forum and poo-pooing Apple's PC, I have no place in there. Yet you come here and try to convert us to OSX. Why? Yes Vista sucks, we all know this, M$ knows this and even the PC user crowd knows this since Vista only has a 2% share of the OS market.

Apple will never eclipse M$, not ever. AMD will never eclipse Intel. It's just the way it is. Apple is too limited on choices. The Mac is an Apple, they're all Apples. There is no choice, there is no cheaper alternative and there is no competition. We as humans like choice. If we get one choice and one choice only we balk. This is why we go after different makes of cars, PC's, guitars, handwound 540 motors, ETC. Price is also important to us, the number of haves is eclipsed by the number of have nots. We can't all afford to run out an plop down $3000 on a new Mac. We generally can afford to call up Dell and buy a $400 PC.

And for the record, I AM a water cooling fanboy, I am an overclocking fanboy and I for all general purposes am an nVidia fanboy. I just choose not to force it down anyone's throat.

MacMan

Partition Master
Thanks, but still you miss my point.

To me, coming into a PC enthusiast forum and trolling (which is exactly what you are doing) is the mark of a fanboy. I'm not an OS fan of any sort. I'm an enthusiast pure and simple. I'd never even dream of going into an Apple forum and poo-pooing Apple's PC, I have no place in there. Yet you come here and try to convert us to OSX. Why? Yes Vista sucks, we all know this, M$ knows this and even the PC user crowd knows this since Vista only has a 2% share of the OS market.

Apple will never eclipse M$, not ever. AMD will never eclipse Intel. It's just the way it is. Apple is too limited on choices. The Mac is an Apple, they're all Apples. There is no choice, there is no cheaper alternative and there is no competition. We as humans like choice. If we get one choice and one choice only we balk. This is why we go after different makes of cars, PC's, guitars, handwound 540 motors, ETC. Price is also important to us, the number of haves is eclipsed by the number of have nots. We can't all afford to run out an plop down $3000 on a new Mac. We generally can afford to call up Dell and buy a $400 PC.

And for the record, I AM a water cooling fanboy, I am an overclocking fanboy and I for all general purposes am an nVidia fanboy. I just choose not to force it down anyone's throat.

You say, " I'd never even dream of going into an Apple forum and poo-pooing Apple's PC," that's one of my points. Window and Linux are not the only pc's; Mac's are pc's too.

Techgage posts Apple related news, therefore, is it wrong for me to post my thoughts on OSX as an alternative OS. There are more apps for Mac then Linux. The idea that Linux has more is unfounded. Were in hell that comes from, I don't know?

Personally, I think you sound far more knowledgeable than I am on a lot of pc issues. I'm NOT trying to cram OSX down anybodys throat. Just as you are more knowledgeable than I on a lot of pc related things, it can also be said that I am too, but on OSX. Choice is good, I'm simply sharing my thoughts on OSX and Vista and Linux. Would we have a world were there was only one color; one type of bread; one race; one type of automobile?

Of course not. Then why am I demonized and accused of trying to convert people? I think that an 80-billion dollar giant corporation like Apple can do that without my help.

Someday, maybe you can help me by giving me info on building my own Linux box. This is something that I want to do, but sadly, I haven't had the time to do it. I want to do so, because as I said before, choice is GOOD. Very Good.

Last edited:

madmat

Soup Nazi
I know bupkis about Linux, my experiences with Linux have all been bad ones. I can help you build a core PC but choosing a flavor of Linux is entirely beyond me.

If you're not trying to convert us to OSX then stop trying to convince us how much better it is. It's pretty simple really. I see a post by you saying how great OSX is, I see another post saying that it's too limited followed by a post by you saying it's great and we're mistaken on it being limited and on and on. That's where I get the impression that you're trying to convert us.

I'd be open to OSX if it was 100% natively compatible with every Windows app and was able to be put on any PC and ran any hardware I threw at it. Until those things transpire I am simply not interested. I don't want ports of Windows apps or emulation to run Windows apps. I've read Mac users claiming that they've run Windows on a Mac under OSX through an emulator and it was faster than on a PC. I know that's simply BS. It's impossible to run an OS on an emulator and have it be faster than running natively on hardware. You're adding processes to the software (OS) running the emulator which is going to slow the whole system down.

I'm not demonizing you, it's just that you're a duck in the hen house. There are fundamental differences between us that prevent us from being considered brothers. You quack, I cluck. You waddle and I chicken walk. Yes we both have feathers and lay eggs but that's where the similarities stop. We can get along though if we try and I'm trying very hard to be as open as possible.

You say the Apple is a PC with OSX on it. I agree but it's hobbled by the fact that Apple will not let hardware MFG's write drivers for OSX. It sucks, really, since it hurts the Apple enthusiasts yearning to have the freedom that PC enthusiasts have had for all these years. I can't understand why Apple has to be so heavy handed with their stuff.

Last edited:

MacMan

Partition Master
I Agree with you!

I know bupkis about Linux, my experiences with Linux have all been bad ones. I can help you build a core PC but choosing a flavor of Linux is entirely beyond me.

If you're not trying to convert us to OSX then stop trying to convince us how much better it is. It's pretty simple really. I see a post by you saying how great OSX is, I see another post saying that it's too limited followed by a post by you saying it's great and we're mistaken on it being limited and on and on. That's where I get the impression that you're trying to convert us.

I'd be open to OSX if it was 100% natively compatible with every Windows app and was able to be put on any PC and ran any hardware I threw at it. Until those things transpire I am simply not interested. I don't want ports of Windows apps or emulation to run Windows apps. I've read Mac users claiming that they've run Windows on a Mac under OSX through an emulator and it was faster than on a PC. I know that's simply BS. It's impossible to run an OS on an emulator and have it be faster than running natively on hardware. You're adding processes to the software (OS) running the emulator which is going to slow the whole system down.

I'm not demonizing you, it's just that you're a duck in the hen house. There are fundamental differences between us that prevent us from being considered brothers. You quack, I cluck. You waddle and I chicken walk. Yes we both have feathers and lay eggs but that's where the similarities stop. We can get along though if we try and I'm trying very hard to be as open as possible.

You say the Apple is a PC with OSX on it. I agree but it's hobbled by the fact that Apple will not let hardware MFG's write drivers for OSX. It sucks, really, since it hurts the Apple enthusiasts yearning to have the freedom that PC enthusiasts have had for all these years. I can't understand why Apple has to be so heavy handed with their stuff.

I agree 100% with you. It does suck that we can't build our own OSX boxes, but on the other hand, we have the benefit of both hardware and software being optimized. Still, that is no reason why we shouldn't be allowed to do so if desired.

As far as my goals to build my own machine, I want a duel boot machine with Vista, XP (seriously, I have learned to love XP) and, at least, two versions of Linux. As for the Mac, a single 24'' iMac is all I need. Mac Pros are nice but like that Mercedes, totallly out of my reach.

When I get the time to build my system, I will look forward to any help you can give me. Rob is a Linux god, so I am sure if I pester him, he will help me to install Ubuntu and Sabyron with all the trinkets. Rob is my (and to me, anyway) cute little nephew and if he knows what's good for him, he better help me!

I do know that I want to have the fastest, badest, meanest Intel cpu on it. And, if possible, I want to build it inside a Mac Pro case, since once it is set up, all I have to do is pop in and out hardrives, burners, memory etc. I simple like the way it looks with out the jumper cables and wires hanging all over the place.

Oh, by the way, Appleinsider has crediable info that Apple may indeed, license OSX for pc boxes in the future. I won't go into details, but it looks good.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
IBM OS/400 bitches! More malicious code was written for MAC last week than the 400 over the last decade. Green screen in the house!

I cannot back this claim up, but I wanted to join in on the back and forth fun. That and I work with it most everyday. Booooo.......

Last edited:

MacMan

Partition Master
$25,000 prize 4 First OSX virus UNCLAIMED!

IBM OS/400 bitches! More malicious code was written for MAC last week than the 400 over the last decade. Green screen in the house!

I cannot back this claim up, but I wanted to join in on the back and forth fun. That and I work with it most everyday. Booooo.......

The following link describes how after a full-year a $25,000 prize for the first OSX virus has gone unclaimed. After two years without a documented virus the contest has been pulled, what's the point?

http://technicallytrue.blogspot.com/2006/05/mac-os-x-virus-contest-year-lateran.html

Likewise, the University of Minnesota challenged virus writers to take over a Mac Mini that they set up to be attacked. Unfortunately, after 3 months the dean of the university shut the contest down. He didn't like the idea of people overwhelming the university computer labs with deliberate attacks.

Even though the little mini was flooded with over 500,000 attempts, not one succeeded in cracking the little bugger. As far as attempts go, its only the successful ones that count.

Any way, to each their own.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Apples security is good, that's for sure. That still doesn't rid the fact that OS X leaves a lot to be desired for the normal PC enthusiast. I am impressed that over an entire year, not a single virus has been written to successfully fark up Apple systems. People cannot be trying very hard, or Apples security features really are amazing. If I ever try out a Mac, I think it will be for an attempt to comprimise it's security.

MacMan

Partition Master
Attack a Mac!

Apples security is good, that's for sure. That still doesn't rid the fact that OS X leaves a lot to be desired for the normal PC enthusiast. I am impressed that over an entire year, not a single virus has been written to successfully fark up Apple systems. People cannot be trying very hard, or Apples security features really are amazing. If I ever try out a Mac, I think it will be for an attempt to comprimise it's security.

In that case, lots of luck Rob, cause your going to need it!

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If I ever find myself with three months time to waste, perhaps ;-)

As it stands, I don't have time to even experience the euphoria state a Mac so apparently offers, let alone try to break one. Your Macs will remain safe for now!

Hahahahahaha.

slugbug

Coastermaker
What ticks me off is I ran the Vista Upgrade Advisor and it told me my system was compatible and there were no problems. I tried installing it and get BSODs after installing Nvidia's graphic drivers.

MacMan

Partition Master
Your Not Alone

What ticks me off is I ran the Vista Upgrade Advisor and it told me my system was compatible and there were no problems. I tried installing it and get BSODs after installing Nvidia's graphic drivers.

Sadly, your not alone. I read of many people who ran into the same problem. Personally, I will stick with XP for now. For one thing, its all I can afford. $300 bucks (Canadian $) for the Vista Ultimate update is unbelievable! Full-install is a whoping $499 bucks Canadian!

OSX is only $149 for a full install and Linux, well, nobody beats their fantastic price (without support) because its FREE! GO LINUX BABY!

Best of luck with your Vista, hope it works out.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member

As much as I hate to say this... this is not Microsofts fault per se, but rather NVIDIAs. Are you -sure- when you installed the drivers, you didn't receive a prompt that stated they were not WHQL drivers? I ran into a similar problem in December, but I was trying to install drivers that were not compatible with the card I was using. Forced a reformat.

for the Vista Ultimate update is unbelievable! Full-install is a whoping $499 bucks Canadian!

That's nothing... in Australia, it costs the equivalent of $608 Canadian. Ridiculous is not even the word...

That aside, you can get away with buying an OEM version for dirt cheap, but the only downside is that you cannot install it onto more than one PC. IE: If you need to replace your motherboard, you will need to buy another version. But, the OEM version is like 1/3rd the price of the full retail most times.