Zune Survives 2008, Might See 2010

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
After watching their Q4 revenue drop a staggering $100 Million compared to the same quarter last year, Microsoft's Zune team had to have an uneasy feeling when the announcement of layoffs came last week. While the Entertainment and Devices Division remained quite profitable, the Zune fell squarely on its face.

Things however are not all doom and gloom. The hardware is very solid and their Zune software is, in my honest opinion, far superior to iTunes in almost every way. With that in mind, Zune can't die, can it? According to Adam Sohn, Microsoft's director of Zune marketing, updated Zune hardware and software is still on track and they are planning to deliver "progress" in this calendar year... whatever that means.

Having owned offerings from both Apple and Microsoft, I have to admit that I prefer the Zune. Its interface is on a level above that of the iPod and the software is polished to near perfection. Microsoft will never overtake Apple in sales, but they can hit back on an innovative level like they have been so far. As much as I like the Zune, how long can Microsoft continue to hemorrhage money for the device?

microsoft_zune_012909.jpg

"Every time anything comes up, there is a set of people who pull a Chicken Little and say, 'The Sky is Falling. Zune is dead,' " he said. "The fact is we are on track to deliver the next generation of Zune innovation in software and hardware."

"The planning is fast and furious," he said. "We will deliver progress this calendar year."

Source: Seattle Pi, Via: Engadget

madstork91

The One, The Only...
The zune software for the PC still locks up when it loads my library of music. :(

Thing has a mem leak bigger than winamp.

Arend

Obliviot
Zune Marketplace

Hi Mr. Rob Williams
As Editor in Chief, maybe you'll have connections to find out when the Zune Marketplace might be launched in Canada?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hi Arend:

You might want to check out a rant I posted yesterday:

http://techgage.com/news/if_itunes_is_available_in_canada_zune_marketplace_should_be_too/

The fact that it isn't available in Canada bugs me, but I'm hoping we'll see a solution soon. I'm going to contact Microsoft and see if I can get a proper response to this, and more than just "sometime this year". I'm starting to believe that Canada just makes it difficult to sell music in. Last January, I posted something in the news that showed Amazon.com's interest in making their MP3 store available in Canada before the end of the year, and that obviously didn't happen. Buying digital music in Canada is painful, unless you happen to love iTunes.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I haven't heard back from Zune yet, but I did hear back from Amazon.ca, about their MP3 store. Sadly, there is absolutely no update there, which sucks. The store was supposed to become available at some point last year, so I'm really not sure when we'll be seeing that one.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
It took Newegg years to become available in Canada AFTER their original planned date. It might take awhile for others to follow suit.. :(

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It took Newegg years to become available in Canada AFTER their original planned date. It might take awhile for others to follow suit.. :(

I'm not sure if it's the same thing though. Amazon and Zune have to deal with the music industry... I don't think Newegg would have to deal with the same kind of hassles. Plus, they don't have a warehouse in Canada... all they are doing is just converting their site to Canadian prices and shipping from a warehouse in the US.

That said, I would love to know the reason it took them so long.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Legal, licensing, and logistical issues I think? I am not entirely sure, except that they ran into huge problems from something.

With music, legalities and licensing IS the problem. Amazon or MS wouldn't have the legal right to sell the same song in Canada without first licensing (and therefore paying) for the right to do so. From what I've heard even some labels prohibit where or how their albums can be sold. This is why so many online video and music sites are country-specific on what they stream or sell.