Zune 2 Just Around the Corner?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
According to various sources around the web, the Zune 2 is just around the corner, as is a new piece of firmware that will be functional on all versions of the device. It's unknown what functionality the firmware will add, but what's important is that the Zune 2 will be here before we know it! We've seen leaked images in the past, so there is nothing to get really excited over, but hopefully Microsoft will have a surprise or two for us.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
microsoft_zune_group_shot_news.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Here it is, direct from a trusted source close to the situation -- a Zune 1 running firmware 2.1, which will bring all the Zune 2 software goodies and UI tweaks with it when those bad boys are announced on Wednesday. That's right, we also have confirmation that Microsoft will be making the Zune 2 announcement on Wednesday, which should give the Zune tattoo guy plenty of time to get some new ink before the holidays.

Source: Engadget

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
If it isn't a PlaysForSure player, then I'm not interested. Microsoft chose to duplicate the very worst aspect of the iPod by tying the Zune player to the Zune online store.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As posted on our front-page:
We all knew it was coming, but Microsoft made official the fact that new Zune units will be hitting the shelves next month. Though "Zune 2.0" has been a term being thrown around a lot, Microsoft is not referring to their new products as such. This makes sense, as even the previous-gen Zunes are able to utilize the new 2.x firmware.

Included in the new line-up is a 4GB and 8GB flash-based Zune and also an 80GB HD-based model, which was to be expected. The new models beef up the feature-set and many are quite worthwhile. Microsoft is pushing the "social" aspect with the launch of a revamped community feature. How well that will take off will be yet to be seen, but it's clear that Microsoft isn't sitting around twiddling their thumbs. I could sure go for some Linux support, though...

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
zune_100307.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
We're expanding our family of devices with the addition of three new digital media players: Zune 4GB, Zune 8GB and Zune 80GB. The sleek, black Zune 80GB hard-drive model has a bright 3.2-inch screen and comes with new Zune Premium Headphones; the ultraportable Zune 4GB and Zune 8GB flash models are both available in pink, green, black and glossy red.

Source: Zune.net

chuckstep

Staff Writer
I did the upgrade on my gen 1 Zune and so far I'm loving it. The new DRM free MP3s on the Zune Marketplace are one of the best deals around for DRM free music right now. 79cents/track or $7.30/album for 320Kbps MP3 downloads. The library seems to be pretty good size too.

Frankly Plays for Sure isn't really any different than any other DRM model. You're locked into a player/certain type of player. I'm using the Zune Pass subscription plan, it doesn't cost anymore than if I were using Napster or Rhapsody and it works with my player.

My thoughts on the Zune at this point are it's the next best player to an iPod, and the iPod is getting so thin I feel like I'm going to break them. I prefer a player that's got a little meat to it, if it's going to break when I put it in my pocket then I don't want one. As I discovered when my Creative Zen Vision:M broke, Creative's warranty is a joke. After the 90 day labor warranty is up they charge you $25 just to look at the player, and if they deem the damage to be your fault, they charge you to fix it. It was going to cost as much to get a screen replacement as it cost me to get a new player.

In short, plays for sure isn't really a deal breaker, as you should never purchase DRM'd tracks. I won't buy DRM, and I can care less about DRM on a subscription based service, I know there will always be DRM in that market.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I did the upgrade on my gen 1 Zune and so far I'm loving it. The new DRM free MP3s on the Zune Marketplace are one of the best deals around for DRM free music right now. 79cents/track or $7.30/album for 320Kbps MP3 downloads. The library seems to be pretty good size too.

I had no idea of this, I need to check it out soon. I am old fashioned and would much rather own the actual album than download the entire thing, but this would be a great alternative for those more obscure artists/tracks. Hard to beat $0.79 320Kbps DRM-free. If that's the price, then how come people are not leaving iTunes and still paying $0.99 per DRM-free track there? If all of that is true, Zune Marketplace costs less and offers a higher quality... not sure of a downside.

I should ask... does that require software to download/purchase? I'd hate to have to turn on my Windows rig every time I want to download a track.

chuckstep

Staff Writer
Well, last I heard the iTunes DRM free store was going down to $0.99 instead of $1.29, but that's still AAC format and 256Kbps. And iTunes+ still seems pretty limited in what they offer. I think the Zune 2 has some good potential to steal some of iPod's lunch, and Zune 3 will be beating him up on the playground.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
as I am in the market for another mp3 player ive looked around a bit...

Really how big does the mem on one need to be? I remember back in the day with my sansa that it took me a long time to get to a lil over 1gig worth of music on there. and even when i did, half the time i wasnt in the mood to listen to w/e was playing so id hit next.

so really, unless the thing plays video, 1gb is sufficient. maybe 10gb if it plays movies? Because lets be honest, transferring a movie takes some time. SO youd have to take the time to transfer them... and to be even more honest, how much video do you watch on one of those?

The discussion of this thread has moved off of the zune player and on to the music purchasing side of things. Should our players really dictate where we buy music? Should where we buy music dictate our player?

My answers are No, and No. Yours?