XG Magnum 600W External PSU

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Power supplies are getting bigger and more powerful each year, pumping more and more heat into PC cases. Today we take a look at an external solution that promises to lower in case temps and help your PC keep it's cool.

What better thing is there to do on a Wednesday then to read Matts review and then comment on it? Nothing I say!

U

Unregistered

Point

I'm not really sure I see the point for an overpriced powersupply that still has a fan in it ... now if this was fanless it would be killer.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, this is heat that will NOT be inside your computer. I believe that's the main point and goal of the Magnum. I agree with you though, fanless would be killer. Especially since it tends to look like a giant heatsink to begin with.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I'd love to see the rear mounting plate redesigned to incorporate an exhaust fan. The incorrect output wattages are misleading, but we've seen that before. I like the anondized finish, and would like it better in black :). The LCD display is a nice touch, too.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Unregistered said:
I'm not really sure I see the point for an overpriced powersupply that still has a fan in it ... now if this was fanless it would be killer.

The fan runs really slow and is as near to dead quiet as one could wish for. If there was no fan at all in the EX then when you really pressed it you'd likely have the PSU dropping wattage so fast it'd be nearer to 350-400W under a heavy load.

As it stands now the PSU never shows over 41C and I've never heard an noticable increase in the sound from the PSU.

I'm more upset with the wattage fudging than with anything else, I'll respect a company that correctly states the wattages their product is capable of even when it's a bit less than other products with similar features in the same price range. I lose respect for companies that try to overinflate the wattages of their product to make it more appealing.

U

Unregistered

Does anyone know where this power supply can be purchased? I've checked just about everywhere online and only one place (Directron.com) carries it, but doesn't have any stock.

Thanks for your help!