Xbox 360 Exhibits Impressive Sale Figures For September

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
To my knowledge, actual sales figures for Halo 3 have not yet been announced officially, but unofficially, some numbers should come forth later this week courtesy of NPD. According to initial reports, September saw software sales of $655 million, $300 million of which are thanks to the Xbox 360. It's estimated that Halo 3 was responsible for 66% of that figure. In addition to software sales, Microsoft also managed to move 450,000 consoles during the same month, actually beating out the Wii, which had moved 425,000 units. As has been the theme for the past year, the PS3 came in last place with 150,000 consoles sold.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
xbox_360_official_system.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
“We believe Microsoft’s Halo 3 drove most of the sales growth, accounting for over $200 million (3 million units) in sales… Although we think that sales of Halo 3 accounted for virtually all of the growth during the month, we think that the game drove hardware sales and positions the industry for even greater sales in November and December, when many Halo players will be ready for a new challenge. We are optimistic about software sales through the end of the year.”

Source: Next-Gen

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
Undecided. XBox sales won the month due to the release of Halo 3, in order to keep moving the console they will have to continue the trend of exclusive titles that will result in hardware purchases as well as games. It's something that was once Nintendo's model, back in the days of N64 and GameCube, neither of which held their own in their respective markets.

It might be the shot in the arm that Microsoft needs to really get the game sales moving behind the console, or might be the last drop in the bucket if they can't follow it with a slew of titles that will keep people from turning in their consoles for the trade-in value (ala Gamestop) and moving on to others. Halo 3 is either the savior of, or the last hurrah of, the Xbox line.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Are you serious? Are you actually implying that Microsoft is going to pull the plug on the XBOX? Come on...

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
I don't expect that any more than I expected Nintendo to pull the GameCube. The console doesn't die just because it slips behind the competition, that would be suicide for the line, but in real terms of competing markets it can become a strain on the company and take the same place as the aforementioned Nintendo products.

The 360 has struggled to break free of its demographic of 14-26 year old gamers and hasn't made any inroads into Sony and Nintendo dominated areas (Asian markets, etc.). Until this month, the Wii was about to surpass it in total sales despite a later release (and likely will eclipse by the next report), one game does not a console make (nor one property, i.e. Mario).

The line will continue, but as far as "The Console Wars" it may remain a distant third if Sony actually recieves the push they're expecting as the other systems age. Sony is in a perilous position as well, but it would be a lot easier for companies like Microsoft and Sony to deal with not being a top dog than Nintendo (and the N has slugged it out in the past).

NicePants42

Partition Master
It might be the shot in the arm that Microsoft needs to really get the game sales moving behind the console, or might be the last drop in the bucket if they can't follow it with a slew of titles that will keep people from turning in their consoles for the trade-in value and moving on to others.
What? Since when is Xbox 360 lacking good titles? I'm not exactly Mr. bleeding edge when it comes to game consoles, but I haven't seen any Wii games making news lately - from what I know the best Wii game is Zelda, which was available when the console was released. The PS3 isn't delivering the goods in the game department either from what I've seen - maybe you can enlighten me as to what console these gamers are going to 'move on' to, and why?

The only interesting game for the PS3 I've heard of is Ratchet and Clank:Tools of Destruction, which is undoubtedly going to kick loads of ass, and IIRC will be a PS3 exclusive, but from what Gabe Newell had to say the other day, XBox360 is going to continue to dominate in terms of game availability simply because it's easier to code for.

So in terms of 'moving on' to other consoles, I really can't see that happening right now - the Wii is for kids, and the PS3's library is crap.

As for trade-ins to GameStop, I think people know better.

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
Kids, old people, and with the upcoming release of Manhunt 2, Microsoft's target audience.

Still, I doubt it will be the end, and I try not to take sides in the Console Wars (largely due to my fanboi'ism for Xbox's development staff sticking it to Sony).

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Honestly, I figured that if any console "survived" this current-gen run, it would be Microsoft with the Xbox. I have loved that console since the day it was released. It has all of the main games I love (no exclusives for the PS3 and certainly not the Wii have done anything for me). I guess it is all a matter of choice, really. Microsoft has nothing to really worry about.

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
Don't get me wrong, I've loved the Xbox ever since they unveiled their development team (consisting of many big names from the SEGA Dreamcast release). I'm just curious as to how they're going to fare in this lineup, as I'm a bit anti-Sony (even though they get my favorite games - RPGs), and pro-Xbox. Hoping for the best, and I think that the fulcrum is Halo 3 and the consoles it moved.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
The Xbox 360 is in last place when it comes to projections, but it is still the best all around system at the moment. The main drawback for me though is the lack of titles that interest me. I like rpg's, and until recently with eternal sonata, I ask myself, "What does that 360 offer me?" Then answer of course is, "nothing if not halo."

So I am buying a console for 2 games? no. I refuse.

Why did a buy the Wii then? The experience, and the promise of not having to pay out my butt over time or all at once. Sure you could say that the ps3 is an experience... One of waiting for something to justify paying that much for a console. You can say that that the 360 is an experience... one of paying monthly fees for the full experience, and never having a game that truly satisfies me other than halo when friends come over. Both are equally, "experiences".

The 360 -is- losing. Not for its lack of effort, but because of its lack of versatility and strategy.

Oh, and the DS is still beating every next gen console on the market.