X48 Roundup: ASUS, ECS & Intel

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
With so much X48 selection on the market, choosing the right board can be tough. To help make the choice easier, we are taking a look at three such boards all at once, ASUS' DDR2 Rampage Formula and also the DDR3 ECS X48T-A and Intel's DX48BT2.

You can read the full roundup here and then discuss it here!

M

MooNDawG

Rampage Formula

great review well done,keep 'em coming :)

I was looking at getting the Asus Rampage Formula (not sure Yet )
can all the Asus Rampage Formula on board fan speeds be controlled in bios ????
P45 loox pretty sweet .

E8400 @ 3750 MHz 1.230 v on Air
3 gig Crucial @ 1000 MHz @ 2.0 v
8800 GT 700Mhz core/1700MHz shader/2000Mhz Mem
abit IP35 Pro

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I might be a bit off, but I don't think you can control the fan speed from any BIOS, since they throttle up when the heat gets to be too much. You could use an application that could control fan speeds, although I'm unsure which one out there supports these boards.

ASUS includes applications with their boards, which do this to an extent with power profiles, but I'm not sure if you can control fans individually.

N

Neptune

HyBJRA

I noticed you left the intel board at "IDE" mode...I would saw any test results relating to hard disk perfomance are null because you aren't even using native AHCI or RAID mode for the sata drives

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I noticed you left the intel board at "IDE" mode...I would saw any test results relating to hard disk perfomance are null because you aren't even using native AHCI or RAID mode for the sata drives

I use IDE mode on any motherboard I test... since that's the mode I used to originally install Vista. All of the results are still comparable.