Would it be Worth Moving to a Calendar Where Every Year Was the Same?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Let's face it; the Gregorian calendar can be a pain at times. Sure, it works, but isn't it just a little tedious to never know what weekday a certain holiday or your birthday is going to land on next year? Or the year after? Wouldn't it be great if each calendar year was identical, so that you'd always know what to expect? It might sound like an "out there" idea, but it is indeed possible, with the most recent solution being the Hanke-Henry Permanent Calendar.

hanke_henry_calendar_122811.png

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
I'm quite fond of the Holocene calendar (Human Era). Whether you're Christian or not, doesn't using a calendar based on the birth date of Jesus Christ (an incorrect birth date, according to more modern research) seem a bit "outdated" to you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_calendar

According to the HE calendar the current year is 12011.

Last edited:

marfig

No ROM battery
Indeed, I was never found of the Gregorian calendar. But the real problem is the determination of a day length and the fact that earth itself, gravity and the universe, all laugh at our mundane attempts to make the passing of time seem clockwork precise.

We require a type of order that simply does not exist. The day and night cycles aren't the same all across the year (and across the years) and yet we insist that 11pm can never happen during the day (at least on more temperate latitudes).

Our error is trying to make time cyclic; there's always the beginning of a new day, there's always a new year, there's always the beginning of a new month and a new week. Time is instead a straight arrow. A good calendar would be an "infinite" calendar, forever adjusting itself to the earth and sun movements. A calendar that wouldn't need crude odd years, or odd weeks. A purely mathematical calendar.

And definitely not a calendar concocted out of some religious sect gathering that decided it would be a great idea to start with the birth of their fabled superhero.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
We're supposed to be secular, so a non-religious calendar would be nice. Undoubtedly there would be the people that would say God will "get mad" and send more earthquakes and tsunamis.

eunoia

Partition Master
It's bad enough having my birthday in November, if it was also on a Monday every year I'd shoot myself.

Like the idea of a secular, more mathematical calendar but this ain't it. Just not seeing the advantages to changing. Dental appointments? Bank interest? Doesn't seem like university-level thinking here.