World of Warcraft Still the Dominant MMORPG, Can Aion Make it Budge?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Last week, site faithful madstork91 and I were talking and got on the topic of MMORPG's. To be more precise, we were talking about what games are popular now, which were popular then, and which game out there has the potential to grow fast upon release. So, that got me interested in checking out some updated information regarding MMO subscriptions and the like, and for that, I turned to MMOData.net as per stork's recommendation.

This is a site that aggregates a wide-range of information based on various sources to put together graphs that show the current trends in MMO gaming, and it makes it easy for us to get the information quick without putting too much thought into things. Can you guess the current top MMORPG on the market in term of active subscriptions? Of course I'm kidding... even my grandmother would be able to tell me that it's World of Warcraft.

With a current subscriber-base of ~11.5 million though, I can't help but notice that the number over the past eight months or so hasn't moved, up or down. Proof of this can be seen in a press release Blizzard shot out to the wire last December, which stated their new achievement of, you guessed it, 11.5 million subscribers. Either people are leaving the game on a regular basis and new players move on in, or nobody is interested in leaving.

What might be most interesting about the current top 10 is that #2 is Aion... a game from NCsoft that's currently only in closed beta. To say that we might finally have some competition to WoW when the game gets released is an understatement. Taking the third spot is Dofus, a game I've never heard of until now, with fourth place belonging to RuneScape. Number five is Lineage II, an MMORPG I currently play, with the original Lineage taking sixth.

If you are a fan of MMORPG's, I recommend checking this site out... there's a lot of fun information to be had. For example, did you know that the Asian MMO Zhengtu Online at one point reached 2.1 million concurrent users? The only MMO to come anywhere close on these shores is of course WoW, which once managed to hit almost exactly 1 million. Whew, just think of the poor servers!

mmodata_chart_082509.png

The purpose of this site is to track and compare subscriptions, active players and peak concurrent users from MMOG's and to give you my opinion on various events in the MMOG scene.

Source: MMOData.net