Wireless networking questions.

leecho7

Partition Master
I currently have a crap-o cheap-o Netgear wireless router and PCI adapter. Don't know exaclty what model they are, but they suck. My signal drops ever so often and it really irritates me.

I've been looking at some D-Link routers and adapters at the moment and was wondering if anybody here has heard anything about the D-Link WUA-2340 USB Wireless adapter, and the D-Link Wireless 108G Gaming Router DGL-4300.

I know someone here will tell me to stick with a PCI adapter instead of USB 2.0, but I'm trying to free up one of my PCI slots for the time being.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
USB adapters are fine... but I find they drop out more often than PCI cards. I can't say I am that happy with D-Link though. I am not familiar with the ins and outs of that router, but mine drops out all the time. The only computer on the wireless part is my mom who is 20 feet away... and it kicks her off a few times a day.

You may want to just get hooked up with a cheapy setup for now and get n stuff early next year, if you want to stay current. That router should do you well... but it's expensive. I don't see the need of pairing an expensive router with a USB nic :p

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
Without knowing the model numbers it's hard to say if there is a model specific fix, but netgear is generally pretty good quality with decent tech support and updates issued when needed.
The weaknesses with USB adapters is usually the small antenna, low power and limited positions.
If you haven't tried it yet a short USB extension cable allows you to adjust the position and angle and maybe move it away from any interference caused by the computer. (takes a bit of experimentation)
Another choice is (if you already have a NIC onboard) is buy another cheap router or AP and run it as a bridge, even the cheapest AP routers generally have better controls power output and antennas then USB adapters.
As always wired Ethernet is a superior choice when possible.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I've got a Gigafast USB wireless adaptor and it's great. It never drops on me. I'd say go for it myself although you might have fun finding a Gigafast where you live. I got mine at Microcenter FYI.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Matt, you are what we call, the 'lucky one'. I rarely hear success stories about how great USB adapters are. Regardless, I don't recommend D-Links at -all-. I have three.. they suck.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
But then you said they are hard to find... so... he probably would go for D-Link since a Quickie Mart sells them.

madmat

Soup Nazi
No, I said I dunno if he can find them local. He can buy them fron etailers with no problems. Some people just prefer B&M stores for things like that since it's instant gratification.