Windows reset itself?!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Last night, I installed both an AMD Radeon HD 6870 and that new Intel NIC into my rig, boot into Windows and gasped at what I saw... reset settings. No more quick launch icons, default wallpaper, et cetera. It's a good thing I had a recent system restore point to recover to, else it would have been a major pain in the ass to reconfigure the OS to my liking.

Any of you ever have that happen? I just installed some hardware, why does Windows need to spaz out! :confused:

Attachments

• reset_windows.jpg
    reset_windows.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 415

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
if there's a big change of hardware with Win7, it'll reset everything to stock settings because everything had previously been applied with the old hardware's drivers. it happened when I was testing out Win7 on my P4. put a video card in and it changed itself back to stock settings for the taskbar and stuff

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There's still no reasonable logic behind that, though. Settings shouldn't just reset because some new hardware is installed. I've installed different GPUs before and had Windows nag at me for being an illegal copy, but usually it's fixed immediately with a reactivation that doesn't even look like it goes online to do. I can handle that, but to have all the settings reset, ugh!

Happy birthday, by the way :D

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Occasionally mine sets a static wallpaper instead of cycling through my massive selection.

(btw: adding pics to your windows folder that you want to include is a much better option than trying to be selective inside your my pics library.)