Windows 7 Sound Driver problem!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Well, i got a copy of Win 7 Professional from a friend after my Win XP started giving Blue Screen of Death every time it booted into windows! Was using the 30 day trial for Win 7!

I inserted my sound card driver CD and it gave an error message of the 5.1 Sound Blaster not installed! i went to the Creative website and they also did not have a proper Win 7 driver!

though i found a link to one creative page for a sound blaster driver for Win 7 but that gave the same error message! Wanted to use the nForce drivers(Win 7) for the on board Mobo audio but they also gave no sound!

What to do?!? Where am i going wrong?!:confused:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Are you using Windows update? Windows 7 should search and automatically install base level drivers as long as it is connected to the internet.

You can download nForce drivers directly from the same NVIDIA webpage you download graphics drivers from. Here is the 780i nForce driver for 64bit Windows 7. ;)

I don't know what Soundblaster driver you need, but you can likely find the driver on this page: http://support.creative.com/kb/showarticle.aspx?sid=61105

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Creative + modern OS = very limited support. When vista came out they decided to charge people for updates.... didn't go down well. But, at least they've somewhat grown up.... a bit.

Anyway, going to need the soundcard model, is it a SB Live!, Audigy, X-Fi, or just a plain old SB (like 9 years+ old). If your trying to use old hardware, then yeah, your chances of getting working audio become very small. If you have an audigy or X-fi, or even a live! (don't know about that one...) you could try the third party PAX Drivers. Can try them here...

http://www.gamingheaven.net/pax-drivers/195874-pax-download-section-thread.html

If your having problems with an nforce board, which is also quite old, then you may be hitting the age barrier for the hardware. Might want to try a vista driver if available, that might work. Apart from that, i'm not sure how to proceed without a little more info.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
thanx for the help guys.

Tharic: i think my Sound card is the very old, plain old Sound Blaster 5.1!

i have reverted back to Win XP, lol!

Kougar: Oh yes, did not try the update!

:D

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I have had both Vista and Windows 7 install a SOund Blaster LIVE 24-bit card without my intervention. In fact, they even installed all of Creative's software and the card worked fine under both OS's. There is another issue.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
I have had both Vista and Windows 7 install a SOund Blaster LIVE 24-bit card without my intervention. In fact, they even installed all of Creative's software and the card worked fine under both OS's. There is another issue.

Well, i will try it the next time i install Win 7! :D