Windows 7 Pricing Announced (Plus a Half-Price Sale!)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
The moment we've all (okay, not ALL) been waiting for... Windows 7 pricing! Some of it's cool, some of it is ridiculous (I'll get into that in a minute). For full versions (non-upgrades), Home Premium is $199.99 ($40 less than Home Premium for Vista), $299.99 for Professional and $319.99 for Ultimate. For upgrades, Home Premium will set you back $119.99, while Professional will sell for $199.99 and Ultimate for $219.99.

My first complaint would have to be for the minor pricing differences between Professional and Ultimate. Seriously, $20? All that's going to do is confuse people, because just how much more could people get for that $20? To be fair, they ARE designed for two different crowds, but you'd still imagine the pricing would scale a wee bit more than this.

Second complaint could be the upgrade price. Yes, it's a revamped OS, but Vista just came out two-and-a-half-years ago, so expecting people to pay between $119.99 and $219.99 seems a little harsh, especially given there doesn't seem to be a family pack option (like Apple have so cleverly implemented).

Still want 7 but find these prices too high? Our good friend madstork91 pointed out something I missed... a half-price sale that begins this Friday. Yes, to help drum up interest for the new OS, and adoption, Microsoft will be selling each version (upgrade and full) for 50% off. THAT makes things quite a bit easier to stomach. This is one of those rare times when it will actually pay off to be an early adopter!

windows_7_official_box_art_060809.jpg

We will offer people in select markets the opportunity to pre-order Windows 7 at a more than 50% discount. In the US, this will mean you can pre-order Windows 7 Home Premium for USD $49.99 or Windows 7 Professional for USD $99.99. You can take advantage of this special offer online via select retail partners such as Best Buy or Amazon, or the online Microsoft Store (in participating markets).

Source: Windows Team Blog

evilives34

Obliviot
well my copy of windows 7 Ultimate is bought and waiting. thanks to madstork91 for saving me hundred bucks. only if Win 7 Pro had Work in the language of your choice or switch between any of thirty-five languages. i would save 10 more dollars lol

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
From our front-page news:
The moment we've all (okay, not ALL) been waiting for... Windows 7 pricing! Some of it's cool, some of it is ridiculous (I'll get into that in a minute). For full versions (non-upgrades), Home Premium is $199.99 ($40 less than Home Premium for Vista), $299.99 for Professional and $319.99 for Ultimate. For upgrades, Home Premium will set you back $119.99, while Professional will sell for $199.99 and Ultimate for $219.99.

My first complaint would have to be for the minor pricing differences between Professional and Ultimate. Seriously, $20? All that's going to do is confuse people, because just how much more could people get for that $20? To be fair, they ARE designed for two different crowds, but you'd still imagine the pricing would scale a wee bit more than this.​

Take a look at the feature list, and try to find one thing even worth that $20! I'm serious, most XP Pro users would be happy with W7 Home Premium as they've included just about everything of interest or use. Professional gets the backup features and ability to host remote desktop connections, but that's about as far as that one goes as well.

Here's the Windows 7 version feature breakdown

Second complaint could be the upgrade price. Yes, it's a revamped OS, but Vista just came out two-and-a-half-years ago, so expecting people to pay between $119.99 and $219.99 seems a little harsh, especially given there doesn't seem to be a family pack option (like Apple have so cleverly implemented).]

I completely agree. And Microsoft plans to stick to this schedule for their OS releases for the near future... we won't be seeing a single OS stick around for a decade as XP is doing for the foreseeable future.​

Last edited: