Windows 7 Gains Ground on Steam's Hardware Survey

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's been a while since I launch took a look at Steam's hardware survey results, but in recent weeks, I've been told by more than one person that I need to get on it, so here we are. The reason I was pushed towards checking it out is because a lot has changed in the gaming landscape over the course of the past few months, and believe it or not, Windows 7 is looking good in overall usage.

steam_screenshot_051508.png

You can read the rest of our news post here.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I find it interesting that 18% of users run a single-core.... 24% use a quad-core. Another era of PC computing is just about history...

Also keep in mind Windows XP had a 50-55% market share in September, it has continued to fall quickly. You mention the combined Windows 7 total is 23%, but Vista's combined total is just 30%. For an OS that's been live for four months versus one that has been on the market for over two years and seen two service packs, those numbers are telling!! :D

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I hated to even try to transfer to Windows 7 but with a recent addition to the familt (ASUS UL80VT laptop) that seems to run PERFECTLY and is easy to run with Windows 7, I am being quickly won over. I can definitely foresee myself switching all my machines over to 7 in the very near future as I have become quite comfortable with it as of late.

No matter what I still defend Vista to the end as it has always run nearly flawlessly for me and if you take user error out of the equation then you'd have a significant drop in Vista issues. I don't doubt it had it shares of problems, but it isn't the devil people make it out to be either. This is coming from someone that is somewhat software challenged as well as I can easily screw up the most routine tasks by mangling my software and OS installs.