Will AMD buy ATI?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Advanced Micro Devices may be looking to buy graphics company ATI Technologies, a move that would benefit the overall graphics industry, according to RBC Capital Markets.

"The synergies of this seem consistent with the recent announcements by AMD to significantly increase capacity over the next few-years," wrote analyst Apjit Walia in a note to investors Wednesday. "We believe ATI is a rare-buy in the semiconductor space right now given the near-term tie-up dynamics."

First off, I don't really consider Forbes to be a reliable tech news source. Could you imagine if this really happened though?

madmat

Soup Nazi
After AMD dumping $2.5 billion into a new fab I sort of doubt that they'll be looking to aquire anything for a while but I may be mistaken.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Everyone is thinking along the same lines as you. Since that 2.5B is external investors cash, it's kind of hard to jump out and say, "Hey, let's take a chance on ATI".

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I kind of expected this. With NVidia controlling the gaming market with their NForce chipsets and cards, ATI was fighting a losiing battle. Both ATI and AMD have home offices in North America. AMD being based out of California, and ATI out of Ontario. It'll be neat to see what evolves from this. I, personally, had better performance out of AMD with ATI cards, on my Socket A computer. Most of the tekkies I know had the same results. It seemed like AMD+ATI was the best combination. Now the tides have turned. I'm going to sit back and see what comes of this merger.