Why Does Netflix Succeed While Google TV Struggles?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
This past November, we posted about Viacom's decision to block its content from being viewed through the Google TV platform, which just added to the list of problems with Google's ambitious product. Most of the notable content people want to see was blocked from Google TV mere months after its launch, and we all had to question the reason why. What did Google overlook?

google_tv_010311.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
The only reason the content industry likes Netflix is because they still can ultimately call the shots. There is a reason Netflix agreed in 2010 to an imposed delay of 28 days before renting or streaming new releases from several different studios, most notably Warner Brothers. In return Netflix will get access to stream a larger library of older movies from those studios.

If someone has ever wondered why Netflix has such a small streaming library selection, chances are it may very well be for different reasons rather than because they haven't gotten around to digitizing the films.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't mind it if Netflix has a delay in the content it can stream... but I admit I'm perfectly content with watching slightly dated movies until the newer ones arrive, especially given the super-affordable price of the service.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'm not sure... waiting for the film to reach DVD release, then waiting another month can be irritating if it's a good movie. But speaking form a purely business standpoint, such a delay will cost them some customers that want new releases... Blockbuster has been running a huge media campaign touting this very fact for months to make consumers aware of it.

Yep, then I read this article... Netflix is going to have some rough goings in the future from the sound of it. http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/01/comcast-is-trying-to-whack-netflix-sen-al-franken/