Which camera do you think would suit better?

Kunan

Obliviot
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120148
This one is a little thinner than a DS Lite

but

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/kodak-z712is/z712is-gen.php
this one is 2.7 in, and has image stabilization to fight against hand shaking and a 12x zoom. Only problem is its not so pocketable.

Which do you think would work better? I like both, I'm a tad worried about the fact that the second one cant go in my lower shorts pocket but it's not so awful to just carry a carrying case..

I want to take pictures of friends and locales, and wouldn't mind taking SOME nice photos.. And my hands are a tad shakey. Both are the same price.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Both are capable cameras, but the second one (Kodak) has a far better zoom, if that's important to you. It's chunkier than the Canon though. Both would offer similar image quality, so, it's really up to what's more important. Size and zoom.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well a few things to bear in mind is that the smaller the camera, the worse image quality (more often than not) it will have. IS/VR is nice, but only when you are trying to take a picture of something when zoomed in. If you plan to use a tripod for portraits/group photos or anything like that, IS/VR will not do that much for you.

Between all three cameras, I'd go with the Lumix based on looks alone. All three have similar specs except for the Kodak which has a far greater zoom. I wouldn't worry too much about IS unless you are an unsteady shooter and I wouldn't worry about face detection unless you plan to shoot pictures of people in low-light situations.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I spent the extra on the Canon S5 IS not too long ago and it was the best investment I ever made in a camera. The pictures my wife and I take are often mistake for professional shots even though we are very much amateur photo buffs. It is extremely feature packed and powerful with a 12X optical zoom, facial recognization (sp?) and excellent image stabilization. IS is mostly useful when using the zoom and if you get a really good camera then you will find yourself using it alot. But the major downside is the price. I paid $500 for my camera. It is about the same body size as a normal digicam, but it is alot thicker. Battery life is also shorter on the high end cameras, even when they use 4 batteries like mine does. All I can say is that if you don't want to have to buy another one within a year or 2, spend as much as possible and sitck to the major photo companies as they will definitely have the best quality and functioning stuff.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The S5 IS is a great camera, I agree. The best part is the zoom. It's also gone down in price since you purchased it... it sits at ~$400 now. I'm reviewing Nikon's P5000 at the moment as well, but can't conclude yet on how it would compare to the Canon. It seems very good for the price though (~$300).

Kunan

Obliviot
Thanks alot! I ended up going with the Lumix. I have hand tremors that present themselves when I get nervous or excited, and I like to take pictures spur of the moment alot. So therefore I felt that Image Stabilization was essential, yes?