What to do, what to do,what to do.....Comp Upgrade

Altrus

Coastermaker
I'm trying to decide what part to upgrade on my computer next and thought I'd get some opinions....
This is my currentbuild...
nforce 780i
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz((Been clocked at 3.6ghz for awhile))
Zalman 9700 LED 110mm CPU cooler
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB
corsair hx520w modular power supply
Evga Geforce GTX 285

and a 1680 by 1050 gateway monitor((its been acting a bit screwy lately but nothing to bad, takes awhile to start up and register changes, it sgetting a little annoying))

and HD space isn't a big problem, I bought a seagate 1.5TB extrernal HD to put all my extra files on so I can bring them back and forth from home to college.

I was considering either upgrading the CPU to an i7 or buying the nNision bundle from nvidia with the monitor and nVision set up...

My last upgrade was the GTX285 from a 8800gt.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
What bundle is this you are thinking of?

Keep in mind, Core i7 would require an X58 motherboard and DDR3 memory... you'd be building an entirely new computer in order to upgrade to it. You'll probably have to buy a new mounting kit just to use your Zalman 9700 cooler as well.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Core i7 uses a new socket, is why. The only chipset that powers the new socket is X58.

You could buy a 24" Dell 2408WFP 1900x1200 monitor for less than the price of that bundle, just to give you an idea. Typical 22" monitors cost under $200... the 120hz refresh rate is double the norm for an LCD and would be nice, but I'd rather have a 2408. I don't think the 120Hz refresh rate would show real benefits that a top-end monintor already wouldn't?

Altrus

Coastermaker
The nVision set requires a 120hz monitor to render the stereoscopic image.

And I need to not assume, I assumed that if my motherboard could use quad core it would be able to use i7, big mistake.....

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hah, most new system builders fall into that mistake, so don't feel bad. I'm with Kougar... don't go for the 3DVision unless you are a huge gamer and want to take it for a test drive. To be honest, that 20" monitor would be near $400 of that total price, which is ridiculous. It would make so much more sense to get a high-quality 24" for that price and experience the much-improved resolution.

120Hz is nice, but the premium is too high right now.

Just to make sure, that build above is what you plan to build, or is that what you have right now? I'd highly recommend a Quad-Core, perhaps a Q8200 or Q9400. Do not purchase a Dual-Core for your main machine... I really don't see a point unless you really want to save money, but even then, most lower-end Intel Quad-Cores are less-expensive than their high-end Dual-Cores.

Altrus

Coastermaker
Its what I have now, built it last summer dual core was the best choice at the time for me, except the GTX 285 which I bought a few weeks ago.
...and I am a huge gamer.

I can't really say I want the Nvision so much as I'd say my curiosity is getting the better of me.

Other then my curiosity its between a quad core and a monitor, probably the monitor.
At the moment I'd like to go i7 so most likely the monitor first.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
If you are that curious NVIDIA was offering to let people test drive it for free, as Rob said. I'm sure they are still offering that promotion.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have nothing against 3D Vision, but the monitors to me are just not worth it. I gave up on 20" monitors a long time ago because of the resolution, and I've been in love with 24" displays ever since. It makes no sense for me to run out and purchase a 20" 120Hz display for $399 unless you <em>really</em> want the smoothest possible image or to use 3D Vision. Personally, I'd wait until later this year for a monitor upgrade, when 120Hz displays should be a lot more affordable (here's to hoping).

Honestly though, I think you have a kick-ass machine right now, and don't see a single reason why you'd want to upgrade. If anything, I'd pick up a 24" monitor, but the rest is just fine.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
hmmmm......
Anyone have any comments on this monitor?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9183224&type=product&id=1218049006792

23"
1920x1080
40,000:1
LCD

I've never really looked into monitors before so I'm not exactly sure what to look for.....

((Also I'm hoping I can just pick it up in store instead of ordering it since there is only a $10 difference in price))

Thoughts... other than that you should try to get it someplace else (Best Buy is usually overpriced and all around just a shady organization), I have no other thoughts.

That seems to be a good monitor with good specs.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I also recommend purchasing from somewhere else if able... at least from a company that actually warrants the products they sell. I'm also not gung-ho on recommending Acer, although it's been a while since I tested out their products. Many friends of mind who've bought Acer products in the past have all had problems with them (one friend's girlfriend had to take her Acer notebook back a week after she bought it because it wouldn't boot). Maybe that's not the case today, I don't know.

Where monitors are concerned though, it's impossible to judge its worth simply by looking at tech-specs, because it really depends on the panel itself. You'd be wise to Google up some reviews for any monitors you want to consider, and also read any related forum posts... there's a ton of good information out there. From a tech perspective, that monitor looks quite good though, great resolution on that size and equally-impressive response timing.