What a freaking beast!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When ASUS asked me if I wanted to take a look at their W90 "ROG" notebook, I said sure. But, I was warned that this was no ordinary notebook, and if there's a definition for "Desktop Replacement", this would be it. Yes, the W90 indeed is a true DTR, and it even includes a desktop motherboard, X38-based. Does it end there? Nope. It also includes an HD 4870 X2 (mobile version) and even a Quad-Core processor (Q9000, 2.0GHz).

I included one picture below, but let me assure you, it's really difficult to tell the scale of this thing, and that will be difficult to portray in the actual review, since I don't have a white background big enough to hold this thing in. I guess I'll have to pull the old "set a CD on there" trick.

Oh, did I mention this thing has an 18" display? Or that it's 12-cell battery lasts 80 minutes for e-Book reading? This is clearly not meant to be used while on the go, but rather is designed to be a mobile workstation/gaming machine, and so far I'm impressed. More next week when the review is posted...

Attachments

• asus_w90_notebook_01.jpg
    asus_w90_notebook_01.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 488

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I must say, Asus is putting out some great products.
Asus Eee PC 1000H = pleased
Asus 25.5 Monitor = pleased
And, it takes a lot to please me....lol

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Imagine a gaming notebook, where you could take any current game, crank the details to max and the resolution to 1920x1080... plus add a dash of 4x anti-aliasing, and have the game run smooth. That's exactly what this notebook delivers, although the exception is Crysis, for some reason. I totally maxed out FEAR 2 and HAWX and both ran like an absolute dream. I've never been so impressed with notebook performance before.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Imagine a gaming notebook, where you could take any current game, crank the details to max and the resolution to 1920x1080... plus add a dash of 4x anti-aliasing, and have the game run smooth. That's exactly what this notebook delivers, although the exception is Crysis, for some reason. I totally maxed out FEAR 2 and HAWX and both ran like an absolute dream. I've never been so impressed with notebook performance before.

u keep that 4870x2 powered laptop on a lap and the amount of heat will just...well.. it wont be pretty!lol! :eek: