WebPC.com Tell an Engineer Contest

gibbersome

Coastermaker
Okay, this one's especially for you Kougar (owing to your unique and discerning insights).

http://www.wepc.com/about/contestTerms

Timing: The Contest ends on September 30, 2009 at 11:59 p.m. ET

How to Enter: During the Contest Period, visit www.wepc.com and follow the links and instructions to create or log in to your WePC account (the "Account"). Once logged into your Account, follow the links and instructions to register for the Promotion and post a comment to one (1) of the featured Promotion discussion topics (the "Submission").

Prizes: THREE (3) GRAND PRIZES: Asus G50 Gaming PC. Approximate Retail Value ("ARV"): $1,249.99 USD. SIX (6) FIRST PRIZES: Asus F50 Notebook. ARV: $1,149 USD. THREE (3) SECOND PRIZES: Asus K50 Notebook. ARV: $699 USD. TEN (10) THIRD PRIZES: Asus 1008HA Netbook. ARV: $429.99 USD. SEVEN (7) FOURTH PRIZES: Asus 1005HA Netbook. ARV: $389.99 USD. SIX (6) FIFTH PRIZES: Asus G71 Gaming PC. ARV: $349 USD.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Howdy Gibbersome, thanks for the interesting link! I appreciate the compliments, too. :)

It's been awhile since I've seriously given thought to notebooks, so many ideas have already been implemented (IGP + discrete GPUs in the same machine, just to name one) but I think there are still some ideas that can be implemented.

Still it's an interesting time to hold such a contest, dualcore Arrandale chips are going to do wonders for mobile battery life thanks to advanced power gating, Window 7's ability to distinguish physical versus logical cores (and hence avoid waking up sleeping cores without knowing what it was doing), and the removal of one of the two chips in the chipset. Not to mention simply being 32nm will help as well. I'll have to give this one some thought.

gibbersome

Coastermaker
It's been awhile since I've seriously given thought to notebooks, so many ideas have already been implemented (IGP + discrete GPUs in the same machine, just to name one) but I think there are still some ideas that can be implemented.

Still it's an interesting time to hold such a contest, dualcore Arrandale chips are going to do wonders for mobile battery life thanks to advanced power gating, Window 7's ability to distinguish physical versus logical cores (and hence avoid waking up sleeping cores without knowing what it was doing), and the removal of one of the two chips in the chipset. Not to mention simply being 32nm will help as well. I'll have to give this one some thought.

No problem!

As Rob mentioned this IDF's had a marked emphasis on mobile technology perhaps suggesting a shift in Intel's future projects.

Very interested in Arrandale and its ability to provide improved performance without sacrificing battery power.

The people over at WebPC are also interested to see people's reactions towards dual monitor notebooks. Interesting idea at first, but maybe not wholly practical. It would be like carrying around a giant Nintendo DS.