WD Acronis True Image WD Edition Software

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I have a new WD drive coming in for a new build that is basically a clone of an older system with almost identical h/w. The older system is an i7-920 e/w 12 GB RAM; the new system is an i7-990X e/w 24 GB RAM ... the mother boards are the same, ASUS P6X58D Premium.

The new box needs to have the identical s/w as the old one ... I guess I should or at least could just clone the old drive? It is also a WD but *not* the same model or line from WD.

Anyone see an issue with this before I invest a day?:confused:

I have the Thermaltake Black X dual (the single reviewed here) & think that I could just drop the new drive in one of those slots, the old one in the other & go to town?? WD conveniently provides this software tool.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Given that the motherboards are identical, there shouldn't be a problem at all. The HDD model doesn't matter, but if the new one happens to be larger, Acronis should give an option to expand the image across the entire drive. I've even used Acronis to reimage systems that had an entirely different slate of components, and it worked. Sometimes it's luck of the draw, but with the same motherboard, you should be golden.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
You're likely to run into problems with different revisions of the motherboard than the size of the target drive. OS installs are confusing little creatures. Sometimes they are insanely picky and sometimes they don't care about anything.

I've pulled a drive from an old LGA775 system and threw it into the one in my signature and it booted with no errors.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You're likely to run into problems with different revisions of the motherboard than the size of the target drive. OS installs are confusing little creatures. Sometimes they are insanely picky and sometimes they don't care about anything.

I've pulled a drive from an old LGA775 system and threw it into the one in my signature and it booted with no errors.

I'd be hard-pressed to see a revision halt an image restore. Rather, I'd have to assume it'd be related to some setting in the BIOS that isn't 1:1 with the new setup. AHCI is a bit one in this regard... in my experience it's been the biggest cause of problematic restores.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Good to know. No AHCI in this case.

Earlier today when I was going to install the Acronis software on the old machine, I realized that HDD was not WD. It is Hitachi. The software complaint that at least one of the drives must be WD ... ok, I can deal with that & wait for UPS.