Vizo Luxon External HDD Enclosure

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Vizo is a new company that's making a mark on the peripheral market. Their Luxon hard drive enclosure is one of the reasons they are making that mark, and we are going to find out why.

After reading the review here, feel free to discuss it in this thread!

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Niiiice! I love the look of it. As you mentioned, the ventilation would be a drawback if someone was using it constantly. Firewire was another option that would have been nice to see as well. I like the all aluminum construction and the SATA option. With SATA becoming the standard it's good to see the company including that in their product.

Did they mention it supporting SATA 1 or 2? I don't see a reason to put a SATA 2 drive in an encosure when you'll lose the speed of it, but I'm curious.

U

Unregistered

Any update as to US retailer?

After reading your review, I have decided to purchase the Vizon Luxon, however, was unsuccessful. Has Vizon contacted you with an update to an e-tailer selling the Luxon? Thanks for your feedback.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Daiwa

Apparently a Canuck site, but I have never heard of them. They are going for a premium too.. $65CND, or around $57US. That's not exactly a bargain :|

U

Unregistered

Rob Williams said:
Daiwa

Apparently a Canuck site, but I have never heard of them. They are going for a premium too.. $65CND, or around $57US. That's not exactly a bargain :|

Thanks for taking the time to follow up for me. I appreciate the effort. The price is a bit steeper than what I wanted pay for an enclosure. Gives me less buck to work with for purchasing an HD to put into it.

After researching a bit more, I become interested in purchasing the following Lian-Li EX-127. But still is a bit higher cost, although this model has a built in fan. I keep telling myself that a good enclosure is important to protect the precious data that it houses. Maybe I just throw in some extra cash. Any thoughts?

madmat

Soup Nazi
I saw a Seagate 160Gig ATA drive with free Ultra external USB enclosure for $59.99 at Radio Shack the other day but now it's just showing the drive for that price but oddly enough it's listed in the "External HDD" section...

U

Unregistered

madmat said:
I saw a Seagate 160Gig ATA drive with free Ultra external USB enclosure...

This sounded like a good deal. After looking over some customer reviews of the Ultra enclosure, I got some negative vibs w/ regards to this enclosure and it does not support SATA drives. I'm set on getting the Lian Li EX-127.

madmat

Soup Nazi
True but as a $60 combo it's hard to beat. It's not like USB 2.0 or firewire can feed data faster than an ATA drive can handle.

I've read good things about the Ultra enclosure too, there's no telling how proficient the people having problems were.

U

Unregistered

I recently bought one of these beauties and I have to say they're good. But I have this problem, the review says that the LED turns purple when there is read/write activity on the HDD but mine just stays blue.

Any ideas?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm, I wish I could verify anything. This was a while ago. There is a picture in the review that shows it lit up purple, so you might want to e-mail them. Or, hopefully another Luxon owner will come around and put doubts to rest. I really can't remember anything from that review :/