Vista SP1 Due in 2008

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our news:
I try to like Vista, I really do, but the more I use it, the more I want to throw the computer. So, to say I am looking forward to the upcoming service pack is an understatement, although the upsetting thing is that there are far more bug-fixes than there are feature-updates. No matter, as long I can finally copy a 50Kb file and have it take less than three hours.

If you are dying to know what's new/fixed, the official blog has posted a thorough list. In gist, application compatibility and device drivers should both see improvements. Reliability, security and performance will all have numerous fixes including, "Improves the speed of copying and extracting files." Oh, and the entire SP will weigh in at 1GB.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
windows_vista_large_news_logo_killer_of_dreams.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
The purpose of Windows Vista SP1 is different from the purpose of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). Windows XP SP2 was a special update -- Microsoft recognized that it was in a unique position to address new and emerging security threats, and the service pack was the best answer. To address these threats, Microsoft incorporated significant, well-considered changes into the service pack, which had a significant impact on application compatibility.

Source: Windows Vista Blog