Vista Or Net Access... Which Would You Choose?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our news:
If there is anything that you've gained from reading our news, it's probably that not too many of us on staff enjoy Windows Vista. But who can blame us? Even Microsoft themselves know that Vista is a pain, but the sad thing is that the "fixes" are not coming quick enough. Regardless of how much I personally dislike the OS, I can at least admit that I've had no real problem getting online with it, which is more than this Swedish city can say.

According to a Swedish newspaper, the city of Lund has a choice between using Vista or having access to the internet. The reasons are not clear, but the ISP apparently runs Linux and the IT guy doesn't feel ambitious enough to tweak the configuration. Ridiculous though, considering Lund houses almost 80,000 residents, many who are likely to be running Microsoft's new OS.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
windows_vista_large_news_logo_killer_of_dreams.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
According to this local newspaper, the reason is because Lund is a Linux city which has a a Linux server that doesn't like Vista. Lundis Energi blamed Microsoft because Vista has got a bug and it isn't going to change the configuration of the server just to cope with the flaw. A local Microsoft rep said it could probably fix the problem if Lundis Energi got in touch with it.

Source: The Inquirer

MacMan

Partition Master
Now we know....

Now we know why both OS X and Linux are gaining market share as indicted in the article linked below.

Vista is just too tied down to Microsoft's legacy software to be able to really be what I would consider a great OS. As long as Microsoft and its customers have an 'its good enough' attitude I won't be holding my breath waiting for anything worthy to come from it.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070903-linux-marketshare-set-to-surpass-windows-98.html

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Vista is just too tied down to Microsoft's legacy software

Well that's not really the problem here. Vista left behind the older way the networking works in Vista, hence this problem. I am still unsure how it would be impossible to get online if you were using Vista though... it just doesn't seem to make that much sense.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
One: Thats a silly ass story

Two: I don't entirely believe it

Three: That IT tech should be sacked and replaced

Four: Never, ever use Vista in it's current state

Five: Ever

Could it be an IPv6 issue? Regardless, this tech sounds like a douche.