Vista is not so memory hungry

liqnit

E.M.I.
at some places over the net you could think that Vista will consume so much memry that it is unbelieved
but in the following article
you can see that even on 512MB PC vista is using only 237MB.
Vista is using the memry depending on the size available onm th PC.

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
I thought all the memory talk sloshing about concerned the OS running at maximum visual levels. Rather like the "recommended specifications" one sees on game boxes/reviews. :shrug:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, the '800MB' figure is rediculous at any rate. The thing is, most postings about this memory hog have mentioned a very specific build. If anything, that build could have developed a memory leak, or else this would have been public knowledge for quite a while.

I find it strange that Vista has been in Beta 1 for months and months, and only now somebody comes out and says "Oh look, this is using 800MB of ram."

Jakal

Tech Monkey
It's good to see that the new os is not so resource hungry, but it makes 256mb the standard ram. Which, in my opinion, isn't enough anyway. I had the Longhorn theme for xp and I did like the different buttons and transparency it added. Like others, I won't jump on it as soon as it comes out. It will take some time for drivers and software to be "vista ready". It does look good though. I hope some of the security problems associated with xp are cleared up.

izzie

Obliviot
Usually a good idea to wait about a year after Microsoft releases a new operating system. There are always the very obvious bugs that exist in the new operating system thru the first 6 months. I got a laugh when Windows XP was first released and it didn't even work with CD-writers, and games were stuck at 60 HZ refresh rate. Talking about obvious bugs that should of been caught before it was ever released.....

anibalX

Obliviot
yeah.. sure.. but if i wanna use this windows, think the recommended is 1 gb... and if you can buy 2gb

Jakal

Tech Monkey
512 maybe, but with the amount of pc's it'll be installed on I doubt 1Gb is going to be recommended. The specs XP has were quite lower than I had expected. I wouldn't expect Vista to be too much higher than a 700Mhz 256Mb machine. If that.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I am sure all of our current PCs will be able to run Vista at one quality setting or another. Hell, I loaded XP on my old 366MHz PII notebook and it ran decently well.