Vista 32 bit vs 64 bit

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Next machine may be 64 bit, it depends on what software I can still use.

I still play HL2 Deathmatch online as Deckard.
I check posts at Techgage
I use Photoshop CS3 Extended for photography
I check posts at Techgage
I record and watch HiDef on the plasma from the computer
( ATI TV Wonder ) card
I look for new posts here at Techgage
I play Crysis, still
hmmm lemme see....
Pay bills online ( security issue ) with 64 bit
Some editing on recorded shows ( remove commercials )
Solataire addict for years
I print Photos on Epson RX580 high definition
Wireless network to my other computers ( Vista 32 bit )
Is there a conflict, networking to 32 bit from 64 bit?
Did I mention I read posts at Techgage?

That's about it...
I have always used 32 bit is why I ask

Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I've actually been using Vista 64-Bit for the past week and have been impressed overall with its stability, but I've been running into a few odd issues with games that I wish didn't exist. Unreal Tournament III for example, will "stick" occasionally through gameplay, which makes benchmarking a true pain in the rear. However, it could be also that it's simply not agreeing with my installed hardware. Nothing is overclocked, but I remember UT2004 used to be very fussy when it came to hardware it didn't agree with.

As for Crysis, it runs perfect... I haven't run into a single issue during any testing, and the same goes for reading posts on Techgage ;-)

I don't think you'd have much of a problem moving to 64-Bit, but I wouldn't jump into it thinking that things will be perfect from the get go... there will likely be some configuration changes you might have to deal with in order to make everything work well. 64-Bit in general can be a pain... I use 64-Bit Linux and still have things not function (Java, for example), but luckily for you. Windows is the most widely supported OS in the world, so you won't run into stupid issues like that.

I'd say go for it. Install 4GB of RAM and be happy. Cory's recommendation is good as well though. If you don't particularly care to make a move to Vista, then x64 Pro would probably run faster overall.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
64 bit is kinda a pain, but I would not get anything else anymore myself. My gamer is XP64 or Vista Ultimate 64, depending on which I format with that week. My wife's PC is XP 64 and the PC I am using now, which is gonna be my file server, is Fedora 64. I just wish stupid adobe flash would work, but I don't really care.

64 Bit Vista actually works real well. I had a bad install last time round, but it was the first out of 15. Same for XP 64. Installs and works great! You can even download a free 120day trial from M$ for XP 64.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Yeah, I'd like to max the hell out of RAM on the next build.
You know like Speedy Gonzolaz.
Like Road Runner and Wiley Coyote with the Acme rockets
Like,...like...like
Well, you know

Crazy Merlin

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
A change of motherboard killed my XP64 evaluation install so I had to go back to Vista 64. Installed flawlessly on my current system. Gotta love it..

Last edited: