Video Issues

RobbyBob

Obliviot
Well, here we go:

I recently helped my cousin purchase a new PC from a friend of mine. This PC has a discrete graphics card, but we had to use the integrated until we picked up a VGA to DVI adapter. Now here's the annoying part. As soon as we picked up the adapter and plugged everything in to the video card, nothing happened; standard video issue beep code on POST. So, we tried plugging it in the way we had it before (with just the VGA cable straight to the motherboard); nothing again. The next thing we tried was plugging it in to one of his HDTVs using an HDMI cable straight into the video card; works flawlessly, but this setup is not ideal.

Any ideas what this could be?

Hardware is as follows:

Motherboard: MSI ms-7596 (v.1.3)
Video Card: Radeon HD 5670
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250

Not sure if any of the other hardware is of any consequence, but just ask if you need it.

Thanks,
Robert

madmat

Soup Nazi
I think the card was not seated properly. When you hooked up the DVI to VGA adapter it jiggled loose, when you hooked up the cable to the onboard the card was still loose and when you put the HDMI cable to it it reseated enough to work.

My advice is to unplug the PC, pull the video card, reinstall it making sure it's in there tight and try it again.

Last edited:

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Another thing is to check the BIOS/EFI and see if it has the video card set as boot priority for display instead of the integrated (it'll be buried in the advanced options somewhere). Another thing to check is power, does the card need external power and is the PSU up to it.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Another thing is to check the BIOS/EFI and see if it has the video card set as boot priority for display instead of the integrated (it'll be buried in the advanced options somewhere). Another thing to check is power, does the card need external power and is the PSU up to it.

Yes, but he said it wouldn't post after trying the vid card and after going back to the onboard. It posted after hooking the HDMI cable up.

To me that sounds like a poorly seated device. It came unseated enough to cause it not to post when he hooked up the DVI to VGA, stayed that way when he unhooked the VGA cable and hooked it to the onboard and seated enough to post after he hooked up the HDMI.