Verizon to Soon Offer 300Mbit/s Internet Service

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This is the kind of post where the title alone can drop jaws, but on account of being a journalist, it's best we discuss it a little bit else I feel inclined to fire myself. Next month, Verizon will be overhauling its available FiOS packages and introducing a couple of new tiers. On the bottom rung, nothing will change at all; the most basic service offered will remain 15Mbit/s down and 5Mbit/s up. The top offering, as the title suggests, is 300Mbit/s, with a 65Mbit/s upload.

verizon_network_speeds_053112.png

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
And, as per usual throughout most of the US, this won't exist in anyone's neighborhood that doesn't live in downtown major metro :(

Verizon's FiOS has been woefully underdeveloped and I'm actually wondering if they can now promise these speeds because they've improved the backbone, or because they now have just that much extra bandwidth after their price gouging and the fact they don't really spend on the rest of their networks either. :(

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I don't live in a major metro area, of course we were the test bed for FiOS when it first started. I have no speed issues, I currently have the 25 up and down but I actually get 30 down and 25 up. I did notice that the 25 down is gone and that the 50 is replacing it, I might be getting upgraded to that, have to check into it. I will also have to see if I can *test* the 300 service. I do agree the prices are pretty high, but when you compare it to Docsis 3 Cable modem service, it is on par with it. I know cause I just came from Cable in SD and it's the same as the FiOS inet bill for the same speed, the upload is better on the FiOS service though, I only had 8 in SD.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Yea so? Google is doing this:

We're planning to build and test ultra high-speed broadband networks in a small number of trial locations across the United States. We'll deliver Internet speeds more than 100 times faster than what most Americans have access to today with 1 gigabit per second, fiber-to-the-home connections. We plan to offer service at a competitive price to at least 50,000 and potentially up to 500,000 people.

And in my city no less :D

Kayden

Tech Monkey
That would be awesome DarkStarr, but when I read "competitive price" a $1,000 a month came to mind. I hope it isn't that much, but you know how these companies can be.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I doubt it since its supposed to be competitive to what you paying meaning consumer level, so at most ~$100 a month, since the entire point of it is to increase the spread of high speed connections and force ISPs to increase speeds at the same prices.