Vantec AVOX Jukebox

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We are taking a look at a very interesting product from Vantec, called the AVOX Jukebox. It looks like many other 2.5" enclosures on the market, but not only does this one work as an external drive, but also a media player when hooked up to your TV. Good or gimmick? Read the review and see.

First read Greg's full review right here and then discuss it right in this thread!

madmat

Soup Nazi
Nice review of a very nice product. I remember when I first saw thye Avox I was intrigued by it and it looks like I was correct in thinking it looked like quite the product.

Good job.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
It really is. With a price of $100 US, it's priced right as well. I am usually not blown away with a product to the point that I will more than likely go out and get one for myself, but with this one, I am. It's that cool of a product. My wife has a Caravan with the DVD package and this would work wonderfully for trips. I wouldnt have to keep switching out DVD's for the kids and we could just run off the Avox. Hell, the same could be applied for music.

All in all, it was a nice product.

U

Unregistered

I have owned this unit (and 1 like it *, but crappier) for a few months and i have been nothing but impressed...picture quality is better than most DVD players with the same files (rip vs. disc)...
the versatility is awesome, it plays more files than my (rare) Lite-On set top DVD Divx player and more than the Philips DVP-642
picture slideshow plays MP3's
background is user changable to any pic you want
picture size is massively adjustable ( or AUTO...nice)
MP3's will play even if not connected to monitor
i could go on so much.....

BTW.....
*the cr4ppy unit was from BYT3CC- I was not impressed did not play near what the Vantec does and required 2 USB ports and power plug to transfer files and i think it cost more!!

only cons are remote has to be relativly in-line and "close" to work (could be my batteries??) but Vantec offers a remote-remote sensor so you can place the IR reciever away from the unit
finding a car adapter took a little work (5V@2A) 10 minutes @ Da Shack
must use slim 2.5 HD's (i have a old 2.5" fatty drive that was no bueno)
HD access noise is audible

i usually tote this around with my 9" portable DVD player
and fit seasons of TV shows (properly purchased THEN properly encoded, of course!)
and lots of those cute videos people like to email to each other

whew...thanks for your patience...just had to sing Vantec's praises

U

Unregistered

I have owned this unit (and 1 like it *, but crappier) for a few months and i have been nothing but impressed...picture quality is better than most DVD players with the same files (rip vs. disc)...
the versatility is awesome, it plays more files than my (rare) Lite-On set top DVD Divx player and more than the Philips DVP-642

BTW.....
*the cr4ppy unit was from BYT3CC- I was not impressed did not play near what the Vantec does and required 2 USB ports and power plug to transfer files and i think it cost more!!

thanks
MasterBetty

only cons are remote has to be relativly in-line and "close" to work (could be my batteries??) but Vantec offers a remote-remote sensor so you can place the IR reciever away from the unit

and fit seasons of TV shows (properly purchased THEN properly encoded, of course!)

U

Unregistered

BTW.....

thanks
MasterBetty

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The remote could be better in that it could be a bit more responsive when not pointed directly at the Avox. I did however have good luck with the distance. I was able to get about 25 feet away before it started to crap out. All in all though, I loved the Avox.

B

BerT0069

DarkSynergy said:
The remote could be better in that it could be a bit more responsive when not pointed directly at the Avox. I did however have good luck with the distance. I was able to get about 25 feet away before it started to crap out. All in all though, I loved the Avox.

well I found that the problem with the remote haveing to be close was due to the clear plastic in front of the sensor....take the board out of the enclosure and try....u will see what I mean. I ended up removing the clear peice in front of the IR reciever...works WONDERFUL now..... its not the remote at fault..

U

Unregistered

Can anyone suggest an IR receiver that will work with this AVOX? I called Vantec and their supplier in Taiwan hasn't started mailing these out. By the way it would really help if you could post a link to the receiver. Thanks in advance!

P

Plutonian

hw cme i cant get the TV function to work??
OTG and external hdd function is working
except the TV function!!

run out of idea...

Jakal

Tech Monkey
IR frequencies generally run about the same for tv's radios etc. You may be able to pick up a universal remote that would work. No promises, but it's a possibility. If there's any flee markets around I'd go there, you can probably find one for 2 bucks. RCA makes a pretty good one, and I've seen more than a couple households with it.

U

Unregistered

Sorry to ressurect such an OLD thread but I am fightinh tooth and nail to find a good car adapter as well. Can someone point me to the one this user mentioned that he found at RadShack?

THANKS!

H

Hacksaw

Anyone try this with 1080i?

I have had this device for about three weeks now and love it. I just got a SHARP 42 inch 1080p LCD TV and plugged this device into it. I used the component video cables and set the display to 1080i. This image is fantastic. I am having one issue though - the top portion of the screen flickers both when in the menu and playing a video. Anyone else encounter this issue? I am wondering if it is a defect in the AVOX chipset, or is my AVOX unit faulty.

Thanks,
Hacksaw.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
I don't think it's a problem with either the AVOX or your television -- it may simply be that the signal that AVOX is feeding to your TV is a refresh rate that your TV doesn't support at that resolution. Just use 720P for your AVOX. Welcome to the forum.