Upgrade Vista's Look with Seven Free Themes

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Vista might look mounds better than XP, but let's face it, even the best interfaces can look boring after a while... it's just something that happens, regardless of what it is. But did you know that Windows Blinds isn't the only solution for skinning your Vista? The best part is, most of the themes out there that are user-developed are easy to apply and don't require special software.

The Life Rocks 2.0 blog takes a look at seven different Vista themes that happen to be absolutely free. Some offer better color options, more advanced translucency, and there's even one to make your Vista look like Windows XP MCE's skin, only better. Definitely give the page a look if you are in bad need of a fresh UI.

vista_free_themes_080808.jpg

Windows Vista has improved the UI and added lots of features like Aero effects when compared to XP. Vista is definitely a great looking OS (we are comparing only the looks here). You can customize Vista just like XP using visual styles. There are lots of styles available based on whether you have/enabled aero effects. So here is a list of seven good looking visual styles (themes) for Windows Vista.

Source: Life Rocks 2.0 , Via: Lifehacker

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
Cool, but I saw a friend's computer with KDE 3.5 loaded with some sweet 3d effects - along with wobbly windows, a cursor that acted like it was in water...etc

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I can understand why people would like wobbly windows and the like, but that to me got old real fast. I'm on a PC generally for productivity, and all that stuff did was slow me down.

At least with a good-looking theme, it's not going to get in your way. Compiz does have some benefits, but give me a plain-Jane good-looking OS anyday.