Update me on Vista VS XP for gaming

xmatt9736

Obliviot
Howdy guys.

I don't follow the tech aspects of gaming very closely but I love to play anyway. Now I'm about to get a new system and I've heard alot about XP running games faster than Vista. But I do know that Vista is sporting DX10, so I'm confused. Please tell me about this and what OS would you guys recommend for a gamer. Thanks!!

madmat

Soup Nazi
If you use Home Basic it's not as slow as Home Premium but it's still slower than XP SP2. Personally, I run Home Premium 32bit and I like it but it does have many caveats like lots of older programs refusing to work or some that work but they're not stable, things like that. I actually find that it deals with application crashes better than XP but it makes me wonder if MS knew that application crashes would be a frequent fact of life for Vista users.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
XP = dying

Vista = support for 3+ years more

Next release of Windows = years late so Vista will likely grow as old as XP before being replaced.

With the departure very soon of Mr. Gates, Microsoft will almost guaranteedly slow down since he was their main driving force. I would bet $$$ that Windows 7 (or whatever they call it) will be 2-3 years late and we see it sometime around 2012 for its beta debut.

Vista works just fine for home users/gamers and if programs don't work then there is almost guaranteedly a newer more productiove program that does. DX10 is nothing to care about yet, but I have yet to find a game worth playing that does not run under Vista. XP needs to die.