Upcoming OCZ Vertex SSD's Boast Excellent Write Speeds

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
As I've mentioned in previous SSD-related news posts, as the months pass, drives become larger and much faster, and that still holds as true right now as it did a year ago. Heck, even the past few months. Recall when Intel released their ultra-fast 80GB X25-M. At $600, it offered 80GB, 250MB/s Read and 70MB/s Write. All-around impressive. But today, you can get an OCZ 120GB offering, featuring 230MB/s Read and a staggering 160MB/s Write... for around $300. That's without question, impressive.

The best part is that things are constantly improving, and by the time S-ATA 6Gbps rolls around, we're likely to see storage solutions that exceed far beyond what we're dealing with even today. As DailyTech finds out, it won't be long before we're able to see yet another upgrade from OCZ, in their form of their Vertex.

Although the specs haven't been finalized, internal testing at OCZ have revealed a top-end Write speed of 240MB/s, with the Read speed sticking to a constant 250MB/s. Obviously, some fancy RAID controller action must be going on, but even still. My only complaint about the previously-mentioned X25-M was its lackluster Write speed (it's slower than most mechanical drives), but here we have drives up and above 200MB/s. Insane. Just imagine what the next six months will bring!

ocz_vertex_ssd_021809.jpg

The Vertex series, which uses an Indilinx Barefoot SSD controller, was originally specified at 200MB/s sequential read and 160MB/s sequential write. However, OCZ's internal tests show up to 250MB/s sequential read and 240MB/s sequential write speeds. These tests were conducted on an empty drive, and will not officially be presented to consumers. However, it gives an indication of how fast the final drives will be and allows some results to be inferred.

<table border="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>Source: DailyTech</td> <td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>​

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Good for OCZ. The more companies that have quality products that actually preform at a decent speed, the faster the prices come down out of the stratosphere.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree. I like the fact that OCZ isn't half-assing their SSDs like most companies out there. They are actually putting in the R&D to find out how to make them even faster, and that's proven when seeing stats like 240MB/s Write speed. We gotta get our act together and get some of these in.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
If you do make sure to test not just random writes, but also how well these drives do after their LBA table gets full of old data. I'd want to see one of these drives filled up then stuff deleted off, and see if it could maintain anything remotely near to that kind of performance. The impact on drive writes could be huge like as it was with those Intel SSDs, even if OCZ drives don't do write combining.