[Deleted]

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Do I need a better fan if i unlock the 4th core on AMD Phenom II 720 x3 or just use the the 1 provided?

The one provided will be just fine. Chances are the core is still warm even when it's not active, so you'll be fine. The differences in temperatures wouldn't be too noticeable.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Considering the core isn't fused off, Rob is right it probably was "running warm" already.

Good luck with your unlocking attempts... just remember that even if the core is functional enough to be "unlocked", it might not be stable so make sure to check with LinX or some other stressful program for several hours. :)

djw746

Obliviot
I thought the 4th cores were usually unstable.

It is just more possible that they could be. Decisions for performance of CPUs is based on location in the wafers (CPU companies test the early wafers to determine what is where at what speeds). The middle is usually the highest performing (for AMD that would be TWKR).

So if you're very lucky you can get a CPU that can run at quad @ 4.0 gHz or unlucky and get no OC or stable fourth core. I have seen some that run quad and just have the fourth crippled (1.4 gHz or something) just for the fourth core.

but yes to answer the threads question, a better fan should be used for the extra watts present. Maybe consider a CPU watercooling kit since they are dropping in price. It's is overkill but it allows you to get a nice OC while your at it.

Last edited:

gibbersome

Coastermaker
So if you're very lucky you can get a CPU that can run at quad @ 4.0 gHz or unlucky and get no OC or stable fourth core. I have seen some that run quad and just have the fourth crippled (1.4 gHz or something) just for the fourth core.

That's pretty cool. So you could settle for a X3, and save $40-50 on the X4 (if you're lucky).

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Yep, it depends on the chip. As you said yourself, I would expect the simple majority to be unstable when unlocked, but there are going to be some chips that should work fine. It's just a matter of testing to be sure.

I could be wrong, but I believe AMD ships the same cooler regardless of if it is a X3 or an X4 processor. Only if you plan to overclock I would recommend an aftermarket cooler.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
k thx. I guess I'll get a better fan just to be on the safe side, or to overclock it later on.

I wouldn't bother spending cash on something like this. Are you using a stock cooler? Chances are AMD ships their Quad-Cores with the exact same one. If you are going to push extra money into unlocking the extra core or overclocking, it probably would have made more sense to go Intel, since their chips overclock quite high on their stock cooler.