Ubuntu 11.04 'Natty Narwhal' Released

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Being such a popular Linux distribution, almost all of Ubuntu's bi-annual releases experience a good deal of hype right up to their launch, but 11.04, or 'Natty Narwhal', took things to the next level. Ever since Canonical announced that its 'Unity' desktop environment would ship as the default in 11.04, speculation ran rampant. Even during the beta 2 period there was speculation that Canonical wouldn't go through with it, but it has.

ubuntu_robs_desktop_042811_thumb.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Playing around with this in a virtual environment. Seems solid so far but Im anxious to hear from the real experts.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Does Unity actually work for you in VMware? I wonder if the 7.1.4 fixed the problem where it didn't (was a wide-spread problem, not just me). I will have to check this out once I get this article written!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I cannot get unity to work but that's something that I plan to work on this weekend. Surly I can make it work, right?

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Hm, well apparently there is VMWare's "Unity" which allows both OS's to share the same desktop, and then Ubuntu's Unity 3D accelerated interface. Oops!

I played around with VMplayer 3.1.4 but even with 3d acceleration enabled it won't enable the Unity interface. Virtualbox users don't seem to have this problem if they enable 3D acceleration during the VM setup, so it will probably be just a quick fix for VMware users.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I played around with VMplayer 3.1.4 but even with 3d acceleration enabled it won't enable the Unity interface. Virtualbox users don't seem to have this problem if they enable 3D acceleration during the VM setup, so it will probably be just a quick fix for VMware users.

It boils down to Compiz, not Unity. Compiz has -never- worked in VMware, for whatever reason. Someone I know runs like six different OSes through VMware, but one install of Ubuntu through VirtualBox just to enable Compiz :S

This is VMware's problem.