UAC Pop-up with No Password Box?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Since its launch, Windows 7 has received a fair amount of praise and is being enjoyed by a rather significant number of users, and after what Vista brought to the table, it's great to see. But, as refined as the OS may be, there are still a number of issues with the OS that remain, and one of them I experienced first-hand last night. I'll explain how it happens here, and also the fix.

windows_7_install_issue_121509.jpg

You can read the rest of our news post here.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This is something that wouldn't be fixed in a service pack, because it is the intended design, albeit ridiculous. Since I was doing something that seemed rather sensible, I found it foolish to run into such a show-stopping issue. I looked around the Web, and I saw that others who ran into the issue simply reformatted, because they couldn't find a fix. How insane is that, for something so simple?

Once again, Microsoft should make it a lot easier to make an auto-logon. I'm not sure about OS X, but it can be done quite simply in Linux, so I'm not sure why Microsoft still hasn't implemented a simple method of doing it in all these years.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
So, the brother's account was administrative level? That sounds like the issue, you Mother would have to type in his account password in order to make system level changes since she wasn't an admin level user.

If you want auto-login, just don't type in an account password during the install. If you want an account with admin privileges then disable UAC.

If the primary user is not going to have a password, yet a secondary user is going to have an admin level passworded account, then why not make them both admin level accounts? If you set up Windows 7 without a password, by default the UAC messages become warning prompts without a password box.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
So, the brother's account was administrative level? That sounds like the issue, you Mother would have to type in his account password in order to make system level changes since she wasn't an admin level user.

If you want auto-login, just don't type in an account password during the install. If you want an account with admin privileges then disable UAC.

It was vice versa... mom's account was admin, his wasn't. And not typing in a password is fine, until a second account is created, which was the ultimate goal. As soon as a second account is added, Windows will not automatically log into one at boot.

If the primary user is not going to have a password, yet a secondary user is going to have an admin level passworded account, then why not make them both admin level accounts? If you set up Windows 7 without a password, by default the UAC messages become warning prompts without a password box.

I didn't want his account to be an admin account, because I didn't want him installing applications without thinking about it. I upgraded her PC and installed Windows 7 because previously, it ran like molasses. It turned out to be an HDD issue instead, so this entire change wasn't truly necessary, but my goal was always to have his as a limited account, to help force him to pay more attention to what he's doing on the PC.

Jesus

Obliviot
i agree with 2Tired2Tango "It's not a bug Rob ... it's an undocumented feature!

It's this kind of thing that makes me wait for the service packs.... "