Transcend Releases DDR3 ECC Modules with Built-In Temperature Sensors

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Although I don't partake in the activity much anymore, I used to be huge into overclocking memory. Even though at stock speeds, memory doesn't really offer mind-blowing differences in performance over a slower kit, something about pushing the frequencies to ridiculous heights was exciting. But there was a major problem... heat. To make matters worse, without a reliable way to monitor RAM temps, it was hard to know when a fan was, or wasn't, required.

Well, memory giant Transcend has tackled the problem, just a wee bit, with a release earlier this month. Their latest DDR3 ECC kits feature sensors built right in, and it's monitorable by whatever software of your choosing, I'm assuming. Essentially, this offers one nice benefit of FB-DIMMs, but in a non FB-DIMM format... certainly not a bad thing (in my own opinion, of course).

Although this is currently targeted a the server and workstation market, I'd love to see this catch on to the enthusiast market as well. Even if overclocking isn't a concern, being able to monitor such an integral part of your system would be great, especially if you didn't have to go through the hassle of installing your own temperature probes yourself. Something like this, you'd imagine, would be a standard. Let's see it happen.

transcend_ddrecc_thermal_071509.jpg

Transcend Information, Inc., a worldwide leader in storage and multimedia products, today released a new line of server-grade DDR3 ECC DIMM and Registered DIMM premium memory modules equipped with thermal sensors. This advanced innovation in thermal monitoring technology can greatly enhance memory reliability, efficiency, and overall system stability, making these new modules perfect for use in dedicated servers as well as workstations.

Source: Transcend Press Release