Toshiba Slashes HD DVD Player Prices Once Again

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
After last weeks resignation of Warner Brothers from the HD DVD camp, things have not been smooth for Toshiba. It's at this point when things are beginning to look really bad for HD DVD, but Toshiba has no intentions of going down without a fight, so naturally, price-drops were in order.

The 1080i-capable HD-A3 player now retails for $139.98 at Amazon, while the HD-A30 (1080p-capable) retails for $179.98. Both are great prices when you consider that the HD DVD add-on for the Xbox 360 retails for the same price as the larger model. But at least here, you have a full-fledged set top box, instead of an ugly add-on.

Is this going to be enough to help Toshiba hold on? It's hard to say, but if anyone else pulls out from the HD DVD camp, then things are destined for ruin. It's going to be a very interesting next few months.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
toshiba_hda3_011408.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Amazon isn't the only retailer with the discounted pricing, however. Tiger Direct is selling the HD-A3 for $129.99 and the HD-A30 for $179.99. There are also reports that Sam’s Club and Costco are selling the HD-A3 for as little as $128. In addition to the lower prices, customers who purchase Toshiba's HD DVD players are still eligible to receive five free movies via a mail-in rebate -- this is addition to the two movies, 300 and The Bourne Identity, which come in the box.

Source: DailyTech

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
I won't forgive Sony for the events of 2006...but...to have a little fun...

Na-Na-Na-Na-Na, Na-Na-Na-Na-Na, hey,hey,hey, good-bye...

:D

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I don't know if it can be saved or not but with those prices, people with an interest in getting an HD-DVD player (like myself) would be hard pressed to look at these prices and turn away. I would personally rather have a stand alone drive for my PC at this point as the only high def TV I own at the moment is me Dell monitor but regardless, down the road when I upgrade my current television, this would be a great addition to the entertainment center.

MakubeX

Partition Master
I sold my Toshiba A2 and Xbox360 HD-DVD player to buy me a Toshiba A30... so I do hope HD-DVD sticks around for a while. :p

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I hope it will... or at least it dies off completely and they bring Fast & The Furious to Blu-ray, since that's the only player I am dealing with right now ;-)

In all seriousness, I am not sure what will happen. Toshiba will not go down without a fight, and I'm sure Microsoft will jump in to help push the format even harder before death will ever come.

MakubeX

Partition Master
I hope it will... or at least it dies off completely and they bring Fast & The Furious to Blu-ray, since that's the only player I am dealing with right now ;-)
Haha, so all you care about is Fast & The Furious, huh? :p

Well, right now I'm format neutral thanks to the PS3, so I wouldn't want neither of them going to waste, especially the one that's not good for anything else but playing movies.

Watch the YouTube Der Untergang redub. It's funny and to the point. 'Nuff said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=friS4OOcdgQ
LoL, that was awesome. :D

Last edited: