Top 5 Wii Downfalls

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As Rob said, the facination with the Wii is that it IS different, and most importantly, its relatively cheap (in comparison).

I agree with you on a lot of points. This "cheap" factor is another one I have thought about. Even though the console costs $100 or more less than the next console, it's definitely a case of "you get what you pay for". Obviously, they could not charge the same as another console... they are not keeping costs down for the sake of pleasing people, they simply could not charge any more.

We are dealing with essentially, a Gamecube on crack. On the other end of the table, the Wii games in my experience have also been cheaper than the other next-gen consoles. $50 for a Wii game or $60 for a 360 (Canada). Big difference is though, for the Wii you are basically paying $50 for an overglorified arcade game (with some exceptions: Rayman, Zelda etc).

/rant

E

Excelle

I feel I have to speak up here - I spent a few hours with a friend's Wii yesterday, and am frankly astounded by your assessment of the GUI. It is quite possibly the most intuitive and user-friendly GUI I have ever used on a console. I was able to pick it up and use it immediately. In fact, when I found I *couldn't* use the remote in one of the game menus, I found myself muttering at the obvious omission.

The Wii eliminates one of my minor gripes I've always had with consoles - clunky text entry. As a PC user, I find few things more irritating that having to use a D-pad to get to all the letters I need. Clicking on an onscreen keyboard means I can enter my name in a matter of a few seconds rather than hammering right or up to get from A to N.

I can assure any prospective buyers that the Wii Menu and setup is extremely easy to use and intuitive - without any instruction I was able to find all the options I need without frustration!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The Wii eliminates one of my minor gripes I've always had with consoles - clunky text entry. As a PC user, I find few things more irritating that having to use a D-pad to get to all the letters I need. Clicking on an onscreen keyboard means I can enter my name in a matter of a few seconds rather than hammering right or up to get from A to N.

I was primarily making a point here about setting up WiFi. I do not consider it "enjoyable" or more sensible to wave my arm in the air to type in a 63 character password whereas I could be at ease using the D-Pad.

Again, differences of opinions. Glad that you enjoy it... I don't.

U

Unregistered

Excellent article, Rob, and you raise some interesting points.

It's also refreshing that an article critical of the Wii does not mention its last-generation graphics, or Fruity iMac-level CPU - these are, after all, of little importance to Wii gamers, and simply blank ammunition used by anti-Nintendo fans who equate technology with "fun".

From that omission alone, I get the inference that you're coming from the right angle - could it be you're seeing ahead of the curve here?

I can't see myself waving my arms in front of the telly for hours on end - for starters, I'd get winded. Contrast this to marathon sessions of Gran Turismo or hours playing CRPGs/TBS on the PC, and the value proposition of the Wii starts to drop. Maybe Nintendo are doing me a favour here - I can go out and enjoy the fresh air when I get tired, and for once, gaming will be, I can't say healthy, due to the insane risk of RSI (Nintendo Shoulder, anyone?), but at least active. However, a gaming platform that I can't play for more than 30 minutes at a stretch, or when there is a crowd in my living room (which is pretty small), is simply not worth the investment of USD$250 (or worse, AUD400 if you're an Aussie).

Re: The web browser, why aren't they using Opera? (like, say, the DS). Or if they are, why isn't it working? It seems more and more, companies are rushing out half-completed consoles with the aim of fixing them later, only they need some quick cash first (Of course, Nintendo is not alone here *cough*Sony*cough*).

Lastly, I don't think you need to keep defending your article. Let it stand on its own merits. Readers may not agree with every one of your points (I certainly don't), but a rational reader will approach it with an open mind and make their own decisions. So will any true Nintendo fan who wants the company to to keep moving in the right direction - see what happened to sony when they got their head stuck up their head and thinking they knew which way the wind was blowing. You don't want the same thing happening to Nintendo, do you, people? As for the fanbois, they've already made up their minds, there's no point wasting your breath arguing with them.

U

Unregistered

EDIT: sony caption should have read "head stuck up their arse". My bad.

E

Excelle

However, a gaming platform that I can't play for more than 30 minutes at a stretch, or when there is a crowd in my living room (which is pretty small), is simply not worth the investment of USD$250 (or worse, AUD400 if you're an Aussie).

I agree with you that Rob does makes some good points and some will remain to be seen as to whether they improve (online service) or stand the test of time (the remote).

I think you'd have to fairly unhealthy not to stand 30 minutes of Wii playing. I played for nothing short of 8 hours yesterday, with a short break for lunch (yes, I'm off work). Yes I do have 'Wii shoulder', but I have had two sessions of bowling and one frenetic session of singles badminton in the last 4 days, so I guess I'm permitted! Plus I need to gain some extra fitness, which Wii Boxing would aid me in.

It's certainly interesting to hear some differing opinions for a chance. I would just like to assure people that I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. Or even a console fanboy. I've only ever owned a Megadrive, and that is only a retro buy in the last few years!!! :)

B

bozo

its been out for a month a half...dont tell me about launch titles. Zelda will keep u good to atleast january which at that point....supersmash bros will be avalible.

I agree that ur looking for things to dislike....

Also ur remote disconnecting....everything in life has flaws and i bet ps3 has more as well as xbox360 when it launched.

ps3 with their tv problems and many other glitches will xbox360 has their "screen of death".

Wii mote unsyned for 10 mins

oh noes.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think you'd have to fairly unhealthy not to stand 30 minutes of Wii playing.

I just like to be able to actually work out AFTER playing a video game. Or vice versa :p

To unregistered:

"Zelda will keep u good to atleast january which at that point....supersmash bros will be avalible."

This isn't Pac Man! There should be a huge array of decent games available NOW, not one after the other at regular intervals.

"I agree that ur looking for things to dislike...."

You found me out. I admit it. I love to hand over $400 for a product just so I can bitch about it. Here I was thinking I was all subtle.

"Also ur remote disconnecting....everything in life has flaws"

I agree, everything has flaws. However, this to me, is different. I played the console the night prior and the remote worked fine. Brother wanted to play it the next day and all of a sudden it wasn't synced.

After hauling out the manual and finding out the correct procedure to re-sync, it -still- took 10 minutes for the console to recognize it.

Yes, I can see where I am in the wrong for complaining about this. I didn't -need- those 10 minutes. I mean, it only takes half a second to sync to the 360, but heck, this is the Wii we are talking about. It's new, it's Nintendo and should get away with murder. Let alone a "de-sync".

Thanks for setting me straight.

B

bozo

"You found me out. I admit it. I love to hand over $400 for a product just so I can bitch about it. Here I was thinking I was all subtle."

that hardly makes sense since you would buy the console first then notice the problems. Ur acting as if u handed $400 over knowing that these existed. Im saying now that u own the console u are finding things to dislike.

Be professional please

thanks

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You don't make sense, friend.

Why am I looking for things to dislike? My point is, I am not going to buy a new console and then deliberately find things to dislike. Why would I -try- to hate something I spent a good deal of cash on.

I was psyched the day I got the console, I was. Couldn't wait to tear it out of the box and get playing. This article is the result of spending two weeks with it. It has -nothing- to do with me "trying" to find something.

R

RobY330i

Very interesting article and one that I agree with. There are more issues that can be made about the limits of this console, but my family enjoys it. Thats whats important at this time.

U

Unregistered

the only console worth buying now is the xbox360 (xbox live, game selection)...ps3 has no good games yet for me to plunk out 600...and well, the wii...is too gimmicky...i played it at my friends house and well after an hour i was like eh, what next? how many original games can they come out for this anyway...and also if you think im going to let my nephews play w/ the damn wiimote and nunchuck in front of my xbr2...you gotta be crazy...i dont think those little hands w/ all that energy they have will be able to hold on to it :O heh

U

Unregistered

i did read through this Article late it looks like :) but i would like to say beside the chunky behavior of the Remote who many ppl complained about, is that all Console Producer have there primilary Game's and there is nothing really new.

For PS its this Rigeracer, Tekken and Sonic they are alredy warmd up 5 or even 6 times always the same just better Graphics and same play style with Pads.

XBox mostly converted PC Games but offerd the Comunity of Console ppl the Games what they see on there Friends PC's, to play with there console with Pads.

And Nintendo has there Zelda and Mario all the time same story as PS.

So what those Console manufacturer's really do? They just give u all 2 Years the same old baked stuff in a new Wrap. They don't look into the main thing that graphic alone isn't making a game good. Its the Game itself or the gaming idea what makes a game good.

I have to agree with Rob that even a new Input device doesn't make this things mentioned above unhappend but that goes with all 3 main manufacturers of consoles, what ever they introduce it will last only for a short while like the Wii Remote pads.

ps: they should sell Wii with Wii-Sports to the Weightwatchers Group ;)