Thirteen OS X Widgets You Should Be Using

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As attractive as OS X is, one reason most people have fun with it is by adding a slew of widgets to help keep things interesting. Among the thousands available, you should have no problem finding a handful that you enjoy. To help get you started, we are taking a look at our personal favorites.

You can read the full article here and discuss it here.

NicePants42

Partition Master
Wow. I am completely ignorant of all things Mac, but that article almost makes me want to go out and pick up OS X to toy with. I hope MacMan doesn't see this...

MacMan

Partition Master
Sorry, NicePants, your too.....

Wow. I am completely ignorant of all things Mac, but that article almost makes me want to go out and pick up OS X to toy with. I hope MacMan doesn't see this...

Sorry, NicePants, your too late; I saw your reply already and thanks! The biggest problem with the piece was having to leave so many other widgets out. Oh well, maybe another day?

I checked Microsoft's Gadget gallery for Vista, by the way, and was shocked to see only 375 listed as compared to the 4,500 plus on Apple's site. But then again, Widgets have been out for two years on OS X as compared to Vista's six months. I'm sure a lot more will be coming shortly. I like em, their cool little critters, but then again...... I'M MACMAN!

A lot of people criticize Dashboard's inability to display widgets on the desktop (the drag hack doesn't count), but I actually prefer it. Having one button press bring up an entire window filled with applications designed to do one simple thing makes sense, and keeps the desktop clean when you're not using it.

Vista's Sidebar always sits there. You can hide and show it with two clicks at most and drag the gadgets around, but it always seemed much more cluttered to me; so much so that I always turn it off.

Dashboard is one thing I'm glad Apple ripped off of Konfabulator.

MacMan

Partition Master
hotsoda you are so......

A lot of people criticize Dashboard's inability to display widgets on the desktop (the drag hack doesn't count), but I actually prefer it. Having one button press bring up an entire window filled with applications designed to do one simple thing makes sense, and keeps the desktop clean when you're not using it.

Vista's Sidebar always sits there. You can hide and show it with two clicks at most and drag the gadgets around, but it always seemed much more cluttered to me; so much so that I always turn it off.

Dashboard is one thing I'm glad Apple ripped off of Konfabulator.

Hotsoda you are so correct! Dashboard, as compared to Vista's Sidebar, really is the better of the two methods, but you know, there are rumors out there in MacLand that Apple will give you the options to choose between deploying Widgets either via Dashboard or, by choice, the Vista way, or a combination of the two. There are already 3rd party apps that add that feature now, but in a limited way.

As far as Konfabulator goes, Apple ripped off Konfabulator, but guess who they ripped it off of? That's right, Apple! Konfabulator was what we call a haxie, a program designed to bring back Mac Classic features such as collapsible windows, etc. What Arlo Rose, the creator of Konfabultor did, was to create Konfabulator, a haxie to bring back the Classic feature called 'Desktop Accessories!'

Desktop accessories included the standard 'widget type' apps such as a puzzle, calendar, calculator, and note pad, etc.! I especially used to like the world map thingy! Ah, those where the days.

Some of my favorite haxies come from Unsanity which include haxies that brought back such things as themes, the Apple Menu features, System Sounds, etc. Apple did bring some Classic features back with their own haxies, such as 'Spring Loaded Folders!"

But you are correct, Dashboard is somewhat better than the sidebar, but I think they both have their points.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As far as I know, you can haul Vista's widgets off of the Sidebar and locate them anywhere on the screen. As for the lack of gadgets available... it's because no developer wants to put up with Vista. So I would assume. Once Vista adoption picks up, so will the gadgets.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You said you can drag them around, I assumed you meant within the toolbar since you made no mention of the desktop. Trolling? I am speaking from facts. When companies like Dell decide to go against Microsoft and continue selling XP, I am pretty sure that I am not the only one who feels that way. But if I am a troll, so be it.

You said you can drag them around, I assumed you meant within the toolbar since you made no mention of the desktop.
Fair enough.

Trolling? I am speaking from facts. When companies like Dell decide to go against Microsoft and continue selling XP, I am pretty sure that I am not the only one who feels that way. But if I am a troll, so be it.
I think saying "no developer wants to put up with Vista" isn't really spewing fact. Some devs are fine developing for it. Being part of a vocal minority doesn't mean everyone shares your opinion.

I may be a bit of a hypocrite though. I couldn't get MinG working. :eek:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When I said "no developer", I didn't literally mean no developer. Of course there are going to be a few developers who don't mind. I need to remember to be dead serious whenever I post, knowing you are around to dissect everything.