think it's time for a new comp.

yoonsup84

Obliviot
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new desktop system.
The problem is that I've been purchasing laptops for a while that I kinda lost track in the desktop tech.
My budget is around 15k and this is what I have come up with so far.
The computer will be for general purpose, 3d gaming, movie watching, ms office, 3D graphic programs, ....
I'm worried about future upgrades (DDR3 support), quietness.
Please leave some comments. It would be very helpful.

Case Antec Nine Hundred

MOBO ASUS P5K-C or Gigabyte GA P35C-DS3R

RAM I'm really lost here. Basically 2x1G DDR2 800. Low latency is preferred.

OCZ DDR2 800MHz Platinum
or Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 800
or Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4

VGA ASUS X1950 Pro or nVidia?

PSU Seasonic s12 550W or Corsair HX CMPSU-520HX 520W

HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB or WD 320GB ??
or should I go RAID..?

LG L226WTX-BN 22'' LCD

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Last time I was at bestbuy there were comps for $400... There were some that for ~ $800 would be everything you want minus the future computability. (< I didn't know was a word until FF showed me it. I think that is funny.)

If you really have $15k to blow on a comp... Maybe wait 6 months? There are some interesting releases coming up 4th Quarter and the 1st of next year (unless there are some serious delays)

My advice:

Buy a computer now that is not "top" of the line and save the money for a new one in 2 years that is not "top" of the line. Repeat this process ~5 times with your $15,000. In the end you will be happier, and that extra 1-2,000 you could have spent while trying to get "top" of the line simply is not worth it considering that it may only extend the useful life of your PC 6 months. It just really isn't.