Thermaltake Shows Off Unique Level 10 Chassis

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
The Level 10 chassis from Thermaltake has become one of the worst-kept secrets in tech. It was originally leaked on a few blogs a few months ago, and then showed off at CeBIT. Refinements have been made since then, and the company took the opportunity to officially unveil the unique chassis at Computex, and so far, it seems to be well-received.

This wasn't an inexpensive chassis for Thermaltake to produce, and one reason for that is the tight collaboration between Tt and BMW Group DesignworksUSA. Such a relationship can't be cheap, but the result seems to be well worth it, because Level 10 is truly unlike anything before it.

It's made unique because each portion of your computer is separated from another, and careful thought was given to isolate heat in key areas and direct airflow properly. Thermaltake says that overclockers should have no limitations with this design, so despite it being designed so strangely, the cooling-ability is supposedly top-notch.

To install components, each portion of the chassis swings open, like you can see here, which makes placing whatever you need in there a simple process. the most difficult part might be the wiring, but once done, the entire install will be unbelievably clean... as you'd expect from such a design.

Thermaltake will be building 1,000 of these $700 chassis' to kick things off, and if they sell as well as they hope they will, they'll continue to produce them until demand dies down.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have a good feeling Thermaltake will be sending out zero of these for reviews. They are just too expensive, and in order to get a good ROI, they'd have to send units out to multiple sites. Seems kind of expensive, and unlikely.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
You may have to exercise forgiveness for this comment, but...

I'm having one of those "What the hell were they thinking????" moments.

In a world where people are seeking ways of integrating computers into their more or less conventional living rooms and dens, this thing can only be described as the proverbial "sore thumb"... I can see this being popular amongst kids (but not with the price tag) or some over-serious game addict, but really...

I'm reminded of the "mini-stereo" systems of five years ago... ugly, stuff sticking out all over the place, bizarre colors, useless features, glaring bright displays... and look where that part of the electronics industry is now... nice clean conventional looking stuff because for the most part people stared but didn't open their wallets.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
With only 1,000 made it doesn't make sense to use many for reviews, or build many extra for review purposes since that would ruin the limited edition thing.

I am just waiting for someone to mod one to look like a borg ship... that's all I can see when I look at this case design. :D

Edit: Tango, it could look alright in some situations, but generally I wouldn't imagine this to be something most people would have in their living room. More like on their desk in their computer room or study... it'd look better than many plain black rectangular boxes, that's for sure..

Last edited: