Thermaltake BlacX Hard Drive Docking Station

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Happen to have a few 2.5" or 3.5" SATA hard drives lying about that you've been avoiding because you don't feel like installing them in your rig? Want a quick and easy way to hot-swap between multiple drives for a very reasonable price and have a unit that actually looks cool? The BlacX is for you.

You can read Kiersten's look at this unique device right here and discuss it here!

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Looks like a winner.
Has it's own power supply so it doesnt draw from USB port.
But what I have is 6 or 7 PATA drives that I could use, but not with this.
Hmmmm I wonder if I could open the WD My Book and take the drive out of that or the other external drive....... I'll check into that

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

U

Unregistered

Idea Copied

Thats strange, o bought last year around July 2007 an exactly same Docking Station, but the manufacturer was Deltaco... i really mean exactly the same, the onlyu difference is the Logo.

Funny that Thermaltake would use some others design and ideas :)

Anyways it´s a great thing to have on your Desktop, it works just great.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I knew I saw this product somewhere before, but not under the Thermaltake name. I guess the product just needed a big company to make it popular.

No doubt Thermaltake just bought mass amounts of the units from Deltaco, or bought the rights to the product entirely. I believe I've seen other companies (besides these two) with the product before, but don't remember who.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
This happens all of the time. Company A manufactures product X. Either the rights to Product X are sold or the patent eclipses and isn't renewed, opening the flood gates for any other company to take the idea and run with it.

This looks like a useful product indeed. I might order one just to keep around. It will make it easy to pull data off of peoples HDDs when they need repairs done.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I took my Maxtor external USB drive apart today, has a nice tray that you can pop a PATA drive into ( of course not hot swap ).... But it would keep me from opening the case to check a drive.

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

U

Unregistered

Thermaltake's BlacX HD Dock

The Techgage review of Themaltake's BlacX HD Dock says it only supports up to 1TB HD's, where Thermaltake's web page spec's say it supports up to 2TB HD's. I'm wondering which is correct ? Thanks .

Signed : One Gadget Enthusiast

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
The Techgage review of Themaltake's BlacX HD Dock says it only supports up to 1TB HD's, where Thermaltake's web page spec's say it supports up to 2TB HD's. I'm wondering which is correct ? Thanks .

Signed : One Gadget Enthusiast

Well, considering the original article is more than a year old, they might both be correct... That is to say when the article was written it supported 1tb, but since then has been updated to 2tb support...

U

Unregistered

Thermaltake's BlacX HD Dock

Previously Posted by 2Tired2Tango

Well, considering the original article is more than a year old, they might both be correct... That is to say when the article was written it supported 1tb, but since then has been updated to 2tb support...

Thanks 2T2Tango, I was just curious to see if Thermaltake was keeping it on the up & up ! Your the Man.