There's a White iPad 2, but Still no White iPhone 4?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
For as long as the iPhone 4 has existed, some users have been waiting for the elusive white version, but to no avail. Apple keeps delaying the white version so much, that it seems like it's never meant to see the light of day. Just what is causing such an issue? That's been a common question since the iPhone 4's launch, but it was made even more complicated the other day when Apple released its iPad 2... in both black and white.

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

MacMan

Partition Master
The answer to why the iPhone has yet to get a white version is simple: light leakage!

The iPhone 4's back is made of colored glass, which can allow light to leak in and wash out its photos. The iPad's back is made of aircraft aluminmun and is inmuned to such leakage.

Case closed.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Doesn't really matter, even if the iPad was glass it would be fine since iPad + lame fail back camera = same as iPod which means no flash so no light leaks.

Walthour

Obliviot
Doesn't really matter, even if the iPad was glass it would be fine since iPad + lame fail back camera = same as iPod which means no flash so no light leaks.

which can allow light to leak in and wash out its photos. The iPad's back is made of aircraft aluminmun and is inmuned to such leakage.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
hmm, really!?! thinking about the comments *in* the article.

I thought and still do, that the issue was all about UV effects on the non-black plastics. From wa-a-ay back I vaguely remember something about molding issues and adding the carbon (of some form) which is the black pigment. Of course, solving those issues & creating black parts is not compatible with the natural color plastics ... something slightly browner than Caucasian man white. In other words the additives significantly affects the injection molding process.

Making white versus black require a lot of experimentation because of the different additives and these are parts intended to be squeezed out by the gadzillions for the added challenge.

I probably am way off, although if you have used Tye-wraps outside and expect them to last any length of time, then you will need to use black. Making white ones with similar UV resistance I do not believe exists. As usual Apple could or will be the 1st with such tech.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Well that's just it Psi, it's not like Apple hasn't produced white iPods for years, or even other white iPhones before for that matter. I get the feeling they just don't care to bother with the costs involved, and will just create one next generation if they decide to.