The technological public functionary will make it harder for you

marfig

No ROM battery
When I was younger, most of the government infrastructure was still on paper. To get a birth certificate they would usually have to open these large books, search for my name and then type it out on a IBM Selectric typewriter. Thankfully, they had most of it done on pre-formated sheets of paper and would just need to fill in the blanks with my name, my parents and other data.

It was troublesome for any public functionary. And it would usually require a good part of the morning for you to get your birth certificate or to deal with any other public service matter.

Today everything is on servers. Data is easily searched and pulled out immediately. Even the most exotic piece of information can be quickly obtained and usually by quick and immediate cross-checking of other servers on completely different public services. It takes us about 5 seconds between giving our name and the printer to get its order to spew out our birth certificate.

But only when the system is online. When it is not, you get nothing. Where are the books? Well, pray you were born when they wrote it on books. Despite having to travel to your location of birth, you'll get what you want. But if you were born after that, sorry no books. Maybe the system will be back in a few minutes.

The dependency on technology may be our downfall in the long run. A blackout can today stop a city in ways that it couldn't just a few years ago. Tragedies can happen that could wipe out and make it forever unrecoverable essential information. There was a time when things were slow, but ensured. Today things are fast but flimsy. But above all, today your ability to get or not something is dependent not on whether someone wrote it down, but on whether the system is online.

Likewise I worry about what on hell are we doing wrong in the public sector. Anyone on these forums that has ever worked for or dealt with IT departments on the private sector knows very well that 99% is a mediocre guarantee for an online service. This roughly translates to 3 days and a half of downtime in one year. All companies demand from themselves an uptime of 99.9%, 7 hours of downtime in one year. And yet our public services all over the world have the lowest uptime score on the planet, far below the 99% mark. More like 90 or below. With constant connectivity and server issues, one at some point needs to start asking what kind of companies are our governments hiring to maintain their IT infrastruture. What the hell is going on?

Technology is the conundrum of modern societies. We accepted too fast and without thinking communication devices and protocols that offer very little guarantee of success into our most important public services. We will surely one day get over it and our times be remembered as the Paleolithic age of IT. Still, we are confronted by it right now. And the apparent lack of seriousness of how the public sector seems to handle the technological revolution worries me.

Last edited:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
There is nothing that I can disagree with. Yet, fire was was/is the traditional means of destroying records. With what you are referring to might be a really good system (aka HD) crash. Earliest that I know of is the destruction of the Library of Alexandria. another is the destruction of the Library of Congress by the Brits in 1814.

Relatively speaking, "writing" was the technology ... making back up happen is the conundrum ... just my opinion.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I also can't disagree with anything ya said, although I'm not sure it's as one-sided as that. As Psi pointed out, when everything was written and stored in a centralized place all it took was a major event to completely wipe out everything at once in a single go. Time and time again civilizations have been completely lost to time because ransacking and burning of their conquered cities and monuments made sure no records were left behind.

Today pretty much all data is backed up, and those really serious about it will back it up off site completely so even a fire or nuclear blast would only destroy one of the two sites. That said, on the flipside it is also easier for single users to conduct sophisticated attacks on those digital data sources, so I admit it's not all rosy either.

I think the government in particular is not a good example either... everyone knows the US gov is still using a huge mismash of paper, outdated, deprecated backwater systems, and a few modernized systems all thrown together. And it rarely works properly because of it. On average, I'd say corporations and major businesses do a much better job of safeguarding their infrastructure & data and keeping it functioning.