The Eee Box Gets Reviewed

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
When I first laid eyes upon the Eee Box at Computex, I couldn't help but have an intense desire to pick it up and run off, but I figured swimming across an ocean to get back home wouldn't be much fun. Luckily though, our friends at HotHardware have been able to give the new PC from ASUS a thorough testing.

Given the price point ($349) and overall size (8.5" x 7" x 1"), this is one PC that many people would crave to have beside their display. It's roughly the same size as a Nintendo Wii, yet offers a fully-functional Windows XP rig, and as Dave found out, it plays 720p content just fine. It also includes an 80GB hard drive, 1GB of RAM along with a 1.6GHz Intel Atom N270.

What also impresses me is that during the video review, a Dell 24" display is used at its full 1920x1200 resolution. This is contrary to what ASUS has told me in the past, that the Eee Box tops out at 1600x1200. I'm glad they were incorrect, because it certainly adds a lot to the rigs capabilities. Seems like one heck of an impressive rig for $349, to say the least.

<table align="center" border="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td>
eee_box_hothardware_review_080408.jpg

Credit: HotHardware</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
In terms of its general performance profile, the Asus Eee Box delivered more than we expected for its size, power consumption and price tag. The machine provided a fluid experience in all but our full 1080p digital video playback test but held up to 720p playback with good quality. System boot time was easily as fast as a standard entry-level desktop or notebook system, with application load times that felt snappy and responsive throughout testing.

Source: HotHardware