The D-SLR That Requires a Signed EULA

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
I admit I've had to sign some odd NDA's and EULA's in the past in order to acquire either a piece of hardware or software under embargo, but never, not once, have I been asked to sign a EULA for purchasing a product on a public e-tailer. BoingBoing has posted news about B&H Photo, a popular photography e-tailer, that requires a EULA to be signed prior to being able to purchase a Fujifilm IS-1 camera.

You are at a loss for words... admit it. So was I when I first read it. But some of the questions themselves begin to make you really think. "Is End User purchasing a Fujifilm Infrared or Ultraviolet Sensitive Digital Camera for a legitimate business purpose?" What? Does this camera have the ability to see through clothes or something?

Well, as it turns out, it IS a special camera, in that it's designed for use with law enforcement due to it's Infra-Red capabilities. A filter can be added to have it act as a normal camera, however. So, if you want a special camera none of your friends will have, get that pen out.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
fujifilm_release_form_040308.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
"I'm in the market for a digital SLR, and found something rather disturbing. B&H Photo says that to purchase a Fujifilm IS-1 camera, you must fill out an end user license agreement. Even weirder is the EULA itself: It asks what 'legitimate business purpose' (their words, not mine) the camera will be put to.

Source: BoingBoing