Ten KDE 4 Tricks Worth Knowing About

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Since I discovered just how great KDE 4 is a couple of months ago, I've been using it full-time and loving it. In all that time, I've discovered a few tips and tricks that I couldn't live without, and all of them are listed here. Some of these include an inline CLI, split folders, setting up a media keyboard and using advanced wallpapers.

You can read our full article here and discuss it here!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From what I've heard, KDE for Windows is still a work-in-progress, but I'll have to check it out sometime soon. I'm really curious to see just how well it translates to Windows use.

U

Unregistered

I agree - KDE 4.3 took a little getting used to

I'm a Gentoo user, too, and I tried KDE 4 several times in the last year only to immediately go back to my tried and true KDE 3.5 desktop. Then I started seeing some of my favorite packages being masked and I thought, "I guess I better get used to it whether I like it or not." After making the commitment to really try it out (when 4.3 was nearly ready,) it didn't take long for me to start digging it.

Also, another sweet feature of Ksnapshot: if you save to a directory with filenames that have numbered indexes, it guesses the next number in the suggested filename in the save-as dialog...I love that!

F

Fitzcarraldo

Enjoyed the article

I use Sabayon Linux, which I like to call 'pimped Gentoo', which switched to KDE 4 quite early. However I only started to like KDE 4 after 4.3.3 was released (Is KDE 4 beginning to bloom?). KDE 4 is definitely maturing into a good OS, although there is still work to be done before I am completely happy using it (Bluetooth being just one example where KDE 4 is wanting). But it is definitely coming along nicely and I no longer feel the need to look around for another desktop environment. Actually, dare I say it but, when I used KDE 3.5.10 and GNOME a few days ago on different installations, I couldn't wait to get back to my laptop with KDE 4.3.3 on it.

I think articles like yours, especially with plenty of screen shots, are useful for publicising the less obvious features of KDE 4. I didn't know about Dolphin's in-line CLI, so the article was useful to me too.

Regarding KSnapshot, a work colleague the other day told me enthusiastically about Windows Vista's Snipping Tool, which he had just discovered. It was a little difficult for me to show any interest after having used KSnapshot for so long in KDE 3 and now 4. KDE FTW!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Unregistered said:
I'm a Gentoo user, too, and I tried KDE 4 several times in the last year only to immediately go back to my tried and true KDE 3.5 desktop.

Haha, your experience is identical to mine, from the distro to the eventual liking of KDE 4. Glad I wasn't alone!

Unregistered said:
Also, another sweet feature of Ksnapshot: if you save to a directory with filenames that have numbered indexes, it guesses the next number in the suggested filename in the save-as dialog...I love that!

Ahh, I guess I didn't realize that was unique. That's a hugely useful feature that I highly appreciate (especially when capturing screenshots in succession like I do for articles like these).

Fitzcarraldo said:
I use Sabayon Linux, which I like to call 'pimped Gentoo', which switched to KDE 4 quite early.

Sabayon Linux is a fantastic distro, one that I recommend to any "newbie" who doesn't want a complicated Linux, but still wants some of the control that makes Gentoo so great. I've been meaning to get the latest version a try since it's been quite a while since I last took it for a spin... I'll do it soon.

Fitzcarraldo said:
I think articles like yours, especially with plenty of screen shots, are useful for publicising the less obvious features of KDE 4. I didn't know about Dolphin's in-line CLI, so the article was useful to me too.

That's kind of the reason I decided to publish it at all. I've seen many "top ten" lists like this in the past, and while I do tackle some of the same features (because they're very useful, and some still don't know about them), I had a good feeling that there would be some in there that many people still didn't know about. After all, most people generally don't poke around everywhere in an OS to exhaust all the features, so it's easy to overlook any of them. The inline CLI is easily my favorite feature from this list, which might be why I listed it first ;-)

Thanks for the comments!

G

GregC

For users of Linux, this kind of functionality may seem a little mundane, but believe it or not, no Windows OS offers the ability to launch applications this way, which to me is rather strange.
C'mon.. I prefer Linux to Windows myself, but such a blatant misinformation? In windows XP, you can right-click any application shortcut in the start menu and set a hotkey. While it's true that you are limited to Ctrl+Alt combinations, it is there and I think I remember using it in windows 2000 already.

As for a twin panel Dolphin, try using KDE's Krusader. It's a Norton Commander / Midnight Commander style file manager, personally I'd say it shares its place with Total Commander for windows as the best application of its kind. It also has an integrated CLI and so much other stuff, especially cool are the keyboard shortcuts. No need to touch the mouse, ever, a must-have for a power user. And, for running a .sh file, you can tell Krusader to display the output of your last command in a dialog window it brings up, it's even faster than using the terminal.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
C'mon.. I prefer Linux to Windows myself, but such a blatant misinformation? In windows XP, you can right-click any application shortcut in the start menu and set a hotkey. While it's true that you are limited to Ctrl+Alt combinations, it is there and I think I remember using it in windows 2000 already.

Whoa. Thanks a ton for pointing that out... I have no idea how I overlooked that. I remember a while ago attempting to figure out how to set up a keyboard shortcut, but was unable. Again, no idea how I overlooked that, but ever since then, I was led to believe it just wasn't an option Windows offered. I'll fix that in the article soon.

I hate KDE4, probably more than I should. No, definitely more than I should. For me the problem is that Konqueror used to be perfect, and now it's only great. And I just can't seem to get over that. If I could, my life would be a lot easier. The effort that I've put into hanging onto KDE3 (including releasing my own live CD) is way way more effort than occasionally having to step over the mediocre web browser to get to the greatest file manager ever, and maybe I would eventually stop getting mad when I have to leave Konqueror and go to Dolphin (which, contrary to the opinion of most diehard Konqueror fans, is not completely terrible.)

I've tried every KDE 4 release up to KDE 4.3.3, and it's absolutely true that KDE4 is... well, not completely terrible, either. Most of the plasmoids are either useless eye candy, or no better than the panel applets they replaced, but IMO just one plasmoid, the sticky notes plasmoid, is simple and practical enough to justify the whole plasma rigamarole, and i like the analog clock because having something round on the desktop breaks it up nicely.

Mostly, the problem i have with KDE4 is not something I can rationally explain or justify, but I don't feel that I should have to. It just just feels icky to me. Oh God, and setting it up is about as much fun as a colonoscopy. I respect that lots of people love it, but with hundreds of distros, there ought to be a place where we can go. The user base is out there.

Anyway, this is a good article, but I want to point out that most of the things you mention are available in KDE3. Did you know you can split the screen for Konqueror up like that? Hells, yeah! The terminal window in dolphin is nice, but Konqueror offers a simpler option that I prefer. Yes, there's a slideshow in KDE3, and in some ways it's more configurable.

KDE 4 is here, it's severe, get used to it. That was never in question., but there are people working to keep KDE3 alive as an alternative for debian-based user and for Slackware fans. Sorry no one is doing that for Gentoo.

Last edited:

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
"While it's true that you are limited to Ctrl+Alt combinations, it is there and I think I remember using it in windows 2000 already."

It's been there since Windows 3.1 and no you aren't limited to CTRL+ALT combinations. You can use any key combination that is not already in use.

Right click any shortcut, select Properties and you can set a hot key for it... Any shortcut, not just programs.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
blackbelt_jones said:
For me the problem is that Konqueror used to be perfect, and now it's only great.

Welcome to the forums :)

I admit that I've never enjoyed that browser, but I've used it from time to time. One major issue I personally have with it in KDE 4 is with page rendering. On some sites, the pages will stop working properly, and scrolling up or down will end up merging all of the elements together to result in a huge mess. Refreshing the page isn't enough to fix it... the entire browser must be reloaded.

blackbelt_jones said:
Most of the plasmoids are either useless eye candy, or no better than the panel applets they replaced, but IMO just one plasmoid, the sticky notes plasmoid, is simple and practical enough to justify the whole plasma rigamarole, and i like the analog clock because having something round on the desktop breaks it up nicely.

I agree that most of the Plamoids are a waste of space, but there are some cool ones in there. I personally don't currently run any, because I haven't found one that truly adds to the productivity. One I admit I'm tempted to begin using is "Color Picker", as it quickly allows you to pinpoint any color currently on the screen and returns hex and RGB values. It seems useful. "Now Playing" is also kind of neat.

Alright, I so just added Now Playing, System Monitor - CPU and System Monitor - Hard Disk. Not sure how long they will last... I usually rebel against widgets, haha.

blackbelt_jones said:
Anyway, this is a good article, but I want to point out that most of the things you mention are available in KDE3. Did you know you can split the screen for Konqueror up like that?

I know, and I believe I mentioned that in the article. A lot of these might have been in KDE 3, but I somehow didn't discover them until KDE 4.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Alright, thanks to this talk of Plasmoids, I ended up installing a bunch of them, or at least five. That's still a huge increase from zero ;-)

I have "Now Playing", which displays the currently playing song, with full controls for the playback and volume. It looks like the volume is all the way down in the screenshot, but it's not... it's at 11%. The audio card I have gets so loud that 80% volume on it, and 11% in Amarok gives me a perfect volume level. I also have two "System Monitors", one for CPU and the other for disk space. Pretty self-explanatory.

Two other Plasmoids I added include a dictionary, and also the "Show Desktop". I refer to a dictionary fairly often, so I have it docked there, and set to raise up if I push Ctrl + Shift + D. I also have the show desktop set to Ctrl + Alt + D, which obviously minimizes everything.

Simple Plasmoids overall, but quite useful. Once I decide to compile a module for my motherboard's sensors, I might also add one to monitor system temps...

Attachments

• rob_kde_4_plasmoids.jpg
    rob_kde_4_plasmoids.jpg
    671.1 KB · Views: 913
Welcome to the forums :)

I admit that I've never enjoyed that browser, but I've used it from time to time. One major issue I personally have with it in KDE 4 is with page rendering. On some sites, the pages will stop working properly, and scrolling up or down will end up merging all of the elements together to result in a huge mess. Refreshing the page isn't enough to fix it... the entire browser must be reloaded.

I agree that most of the Plamoids are a waste of space, but there are some cool ones in there. I personally don't currently run any, because I haven't found one that truly adds to the productivity. One I admit I'm tempted to begin using is "Color Picker", as it quickly allows you to pinpoint any color currently on the screen and returns hex and RGB values. It seems useful. "Now Playing" is also kind of neat.

Alright, I so just added Now Playing, System Monitor - CPU and System Monitor - Hard Disk. Not sure how long they will last... I usually rebel against widgets, haha.

I know, and I believe I mentioned that in the article. A lot of these might have been in KDE 3, but I somehow didn't discover them until KDE 4.

I just tried KDE4 again. Man, I really love that Sticky Notes widget! That one little widget has everything to do with why I keep trying KDE4. The closet thing possible in KDE3 to is make a "link to applications" button on the desktop that opens the wallpaper in the gimp, and then you can add notes directly to the wallpaper.

Anyway, KDE4 is here, and just because many of these features (e.g., the color chooser) are available in KDE3 is no reason why you shouldn't talk about them as KDE4 features. This is a good helpful article.

Please don't refer to KDE3 in the past tense however... if you can help it, anyway. I understand the temptation.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
blackbelt_jones said:
I just tried KDE4 again. Man, I really love that Sticky Notes widget!

That is indeed a nice one! I have a "To Do" list in my taskbar that I use for somewhat of the same thing, but Sticky Notes is far superior for those who like to have the notes right on the desktop all the time.

blackbelt_jones said:
Please don't refer to KDE3 in the past tense however...

I don't see where I did that, but it would be kind of difficult given that it's no longer supported ;-)

I have a feeling that KDE 4.4 is going to improve the environment even further... I can't wait. 4.3 was a vast improvement, and I'm loving what I see in store for 4.4. I do hope to see a handful of bugs fixed up though as well, not just new features (I am not sure what it is, but every so often, my hotkeys will just stop working, until I restart KDE).